Chapter 18

The soft rays of the sun coming from the window awakened Kim. She sat down on her bed, rubbing her eyes as she glanced over the digital clock kept on the nightstand. It was 8:19 am.

Kim tossed the sheets which she used earlier to wrap herself into the other side. She slipped her feet in her slippers and yawned, raising her arms above her head and continued her morning by traveling down the stairs. She stepped into her dining room where she was greeted instantly by her parents. Kim smiled back with warmth.

She sat down beside her dad, only to see him busy with his official affairs on his laptop and her mom was busy as well, attending calls from work.

"So, Kim. How's school going?" Her dad questioned once he noticed Kim sigh as a try to lift her mood after watching her super-busy parents.

"Dad, I haven't been to school for 2 weeks." She replied as she took a toast kept on the table.

"Oh." He sighed.

Kim glimpsed back to her mom. She had a notepad flipped over on the table, a pencil in her hand and her phone in the other one. She was talking non-stop, perhaps arguing with someone, possibly a client?

"Thank god, you finally came to your senses." And with that, she hung up.

Ms. Crawford noticed Kim's piercing eyes on her.

"I'm so sorry, honey. We ruined your Sunday." She apologetically said.

"Nah. I guess I'm used to it."

Kim roughly brushed her hands in the tissue paper as she finished over her second toast. She picked her hair and twisted it in a messy before walking over to the fridge and taking out the milk carton.

"Kim, I wanted to tell you that I'll be out of town for 3 days. Your dad is going on a business trip too." Her mom started and ended.

Kim was looking blankly at her. "So?"

"I thought you could go over at Grace's until I come back." She completed.

"Mom, I'll be fine by myself. It's not that I have not been left alone at home. Plus, I have loads of homework and project to work on and I don't wanna trouble Grace." Kim replies.

She silently nodded in agreement. "Alright. If that's what you want. But no party." She pointed with a finger raised at Kim.

She chuckles at her. "No party, I got it." She said as she throws her hand up in surrender.

It was nearly 2 in the noon when Kim took a break from her homework. She leaned back, pushing her chair as she closed her eyes and sighed. She placed her hands behind her head as she looked at the maths notebook opened in front of her.

"Kim, we're leaving. Lock the door." A voice from the living room interrupts.

Kim pushed back her chair and got up, walking down casually with her hands in her pocket. She saw her mom waiting there with her suitcase along with her dad, both of them waiting with their hands folded.

"Take care, bye hun." Her mom stepped in first, lightly pecking Kim's forehead. And with that she went outside, drawing her bags out as well.

"Be safe, love you." Her dad now kissed her forehead, rubbing her back in addition.

"Nice pendant he got you there." He said pointing to it.

Kim's face turned tomato-red. She sheepishly began, "How did you know?"

"I'm the dad." He smirked at her before shutting the door.

It was all alone now. Kim stared at her collarbone, softly caressing the pearls, smiling awkwardly to herself and stubborn thoughts circling her 15-year-old mind unless her yesterday's words interrupted her- 'I'll see you in the park tomorrow.'

She quickly turned her head towards the clock. It was 2:07 p.m. Kim breathed a sigh of relief. She then hastily ran up to her desk to complete whatever subject's homework was left.

"Done." She slapped the notebook close.

Kim turned her head to look at the clock. 4:23 pm. She got up, pulled over black leggings and a neon yellow crop top, locked the door and put the keys in her pocket, ready to go.

The park was barely 15 minutes' walk distance. She went straight by the skate park, to the damp grass section, a very familiar place for Kim. She saw the same bench a few feet apart, lying idle as if reserved for just her and Jack.

She walked closer to it, sitting with her hands resting on her thighs and waiting for him. Only one thought clouding her brain- 'Why are you not here yet?' until a hand taps on her shoulder.

"Kim?" She turns her head only to see Blake standing behind her.

"Blake?" She stands up. "What are you doing here?"

"I was skateboarding and I saw you. So, I thought I'd go and say hi." He said with a very attractive smile on his face. It was his turn to ask now.

"What are you doing here?"

"I am waiting for someone." She nods for convincing.

"Would you mind if I stay?" He asks nervously, scratching the back of his neck, still maintaining his smile.

She weakly smiles and nods.

3 minutes passed and there was no sign of Jack. Kim felt her heart sinking deeper and deeper, her expressionless face turning into a frown with every second. She glanced at her watch which seemed like the hundredth time in the last ten minutes- 5:08 pm.

"Blake, it's getting dark. I think you should leave." She said, sadness being visible in her voice.

"No. I mean, yes. Listen to me first." Blake said, placing his hands on her shoulders. Kim slowly lifts her head to see him in the eyes.

"Kim, I don't wanna know who you're waiting for or when will that person show up. I just wanna confess my feelings to you."

And Jack had to choose that moment to show up.

His feet froze and he remained still, fixed to the spot where he was standing- far enough so that he won't be noticed and close enought to eavesdrop as well.

He desolately saw the sight of Blake and Kim sitting close to each other with his hand enveloping Kim's shoulder. How was he supposed to see the of Kim being someone else's?

"Kim, I have had feelings for you since the day I saw you. I guess I never realized it until I saw you spending time with Jack." Blake lets out a pretty chuckle. He continues, "I want us to be more than what we are right now. So, before it's too late to ask, I'll say it right now. Will you be my girlfriend?"

Kim's eyes widened. She shot a fake laugh but it disappeared as she saw the strong feeling of seriousness on his face. They were so close, their breathing could be felt by each other. Their noses almost touched, and Kim was pretty sure that Blake could hear her heart banging her chest.

Jack's heart shattered to a million pieces. His eye's were gloomy, and the pain was shaking his whole body. Heturned his head away, no longer wanting to see or hear anything. He was juststaring at the multi-coloured sky of the painful evening and waiting for it to clash down on him. Hewiped his forehead's sweat, storming away before he could hear Kim say 'yes'.

Call me cruel, but this is how this chapter ends. Don't hate me so much. They'll end up together, I promise.