Chapter 9

2 weeks later (1)

Two awakened men in protective coats decided they should go get something to eat at the convenience store nearby while waiting for their mission.

While the other one was busy looking for food, the man looking at his cellphone opened his mouth.

"What did you say again yesterday?"

"What?"

"Scavenger."

I-iss!

A man with a hood on unexpectedly dropped the drink he was holding. The bottle rolled on the floor with a loud noise.

The two Awakeners looked at him for a moment but continued on as he was insignificant.

"You still have him?"

"Yes. It's the first time a single criminal had lived so long."

The man, who was surfing on the internet, laughed at the comments.

"Haha, well you look at that? Aren't you good scavenger that led the rescue of the people?"

"What good scavenger are you talking about? They're all motherfuckers," the harsh words automatically popping out of the other awakener's mouth.

It was still difficult to receive favorable responses from the awakened.

The man wearing a hood accidentally overheard their conversation.

He laughed boisterously about it.

It's been two weeks since Il-hyun awakened.

* * *

It's been over twenty years since a monster's first appearance.

Today, it's not an exaggeration to say that detecting a gate was the most important task for every country worldwide.

If he missed the gate's creation once, he had no choice but to suffer enormous damage in his unprepared state.

The monster cannot be removed immediately, and the problem grew bigger if left unattended.

Secondary damage, such as breeding or contamination of the monsters coming out of the gate, was more difficult to convert into money.

Governments around the world have spent countless taxes to prevent that from happening. They launched sensitive satellites and installed detectors in cities and valleys.

However, no matter how much attention was put into detection, it was impossible to predict a gate that had not yet appeared.

Gates that appeared suddenly were quickly notified and responded to as soon as possible.

And the people in charge of that is the Korean government's Disaster Monitoring Department.

"Move quickly!"

The manager, who was unable to leave the office after 9 o'clock at night, said nervously.

The department had turned upside down because of the gate that appeared in the Seoul residential area.

"Did you get the wavelength analysis results?"

"Gate rating is E1, 12 minutes until the advent of the monster."

"Shit! I expected it, but it's faster than I thought."

If he looked closely at the gate's appearance, he could see each gate's approximate characteristics.

The manager had been doing this for over ten years, and he noticed that it would be active in less than 30 minutes from the first picture received.