Chapter 22

The Hidden Truth (3)

Thud!

The long sword pierced the Smoke-monster's head, and it fell to the ground, making a deafening noise. Jung Jin-sung, who was on the Smoke-monster's body, slowly came down to the floor.

A wave of confidence and relief passed through his spine as he saw the number of monsters laying their weapons down. He knew that this base would be a breeding ground for fungi. The way to the underground station was in the nexus of the city.

The atmosphere was gutted with the poisonous fog that was rising off of the monster's dead body.

"Hitch! Ah... My nose keeps tickling because of them."

Lee Soo-yeon grumbled.

"Is it? I don't know."

"Then die, really."

Lee Soo-yeon's coat had not yet been replaced with the new equipment. She was fully exposed to the terrible poison. When Jeong Jin-sung pointed to the fresh defense coat that he had obtained after three close encounters with rock-paper-scissors, Lee Soo-yeon pounded his chest with her elbows. But to everyone's relief, it was not as damaging as the monster itself.

The two went down, slicing the monsters and making their way out of it.

A-irh!

The fungus continued to rush, and it was grievous.

Their broken stairs and floors showed their eyes all inside the green-colored subway.

The ceiling, floor, and walls collapsed to create an underground space according to their taste.

A rotting smell was arising from the spore pillars that had collapsed.

There was a mass of spores multiplying and terribly decayed bodies.

"Hugh... We found a breeding ground." He confirmed.

What was the most threatening was the significant number of ace-monsters and smoke-monsters. They were multitudinous and could not be counted in a glance. They presented a tough task to knock them down even by the strongest A-rank awakeners. Had not the monsters fallen to the ground, this place would have been a wreck.

The intruders were seen to make their way. The vast number of massive monsters turned around, making high-pitched sound and quacked the earth. That outcry was having a factor of hostility toward them. Lee Soo-yeon and Jeong Jin-sung, the two team leaders, geared up against them and raised their swords.

"Yeah, I feel like I'm working properly. Motherfuckers." They yelled.

Soo-yeon Lee's body had black energy.

* * *

"Ugh pole!"

The building had terribly collapsed. It had turned to rubble. With all his might, Ilhyun lifted it to one side. The thought of all the dead bodies inside the building was grievous. He tried to keep up his optimism and silently wished to see survivors as he made his way to the inside.

"Sigh..."

There were not any.

It indeed was a terrible sight for him to see, but he had seen dozens of it, so now he was partly immune to it. He moved on to start his operation. Biting his lips with both grief and strength, he left the building.

The mission for them was over. The breeding grounds were crushed and monsters, sliced. Leaving the rest to the Russians, Ilhyun made his way out as per the call of Lee Soo-yeon's voice on the transceiver.