seven years.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

with all changes of becoming a second-grader, like no longer having to use a booster seat or sit in the shopping cart, eren wanted to try new things.

his legs had gotten longer, his feet bigger. while going through all his clothing, carla had accumulated an amount of clothing that had to be given away that nobody expected. it was the first time in months that eren had to go clothes shopping.

in most children, this meant picking up a sport. track, for example—which he, in fact, tried, and was fairly good at. the coach had called him a 'natural that needs a little carving'.

he doesn't know what that means, but it sounded good!

it all changed the day that levi told him about a theater camp he wanted to go to over the summer, along with his extracurricular classes he was taking.

"it's very cool! my mom went when she was younger," he said.

so, on that same day, during dinner, eren was the one that started the conversation.

"can i join a theater class?" he said, taking a forkful of pasta. grisha and carla blinked.

"a theater class? you like theater?"

"i want to practice it," he said plainly.

"well, if it's something you want to do, we can try our best to provide," carla said, whipping out her phone, typing rapidly.

"don't you like track though, eren?" grisha asked.

"who says he can't do both?"

"i mean, of course, he could do both, for right now. we know that homework and school only get more stressful as he goes by the grades. he can't do both track and theater forever. he'll suffocate himself."

"he's just a second-grader, grisha, lighten up. you think about the future too much," she said with a chortle. then, as she clicked on something, she started to frown.

"there's a theater class i could sign you up for, but they meet up on the same days of track practice."

"aren't there any others?"

"i mean, this is the biggest organization there is in this city. they have performed on actual concert halls. i could try to find another, but i bet they'll be limited in resources and extremely far away."

grisha sighed. "well, this means there's a decision for you to make, eren."

"huh?"

"track practice or drama practice?"

eren looked at the two of them, seeing entirely different opinions written on their foreheads, yet their tight-lipped smiles were all the same.

carla didn't care for track, that much was clear. she always loved to talk about the cinderella play she starred in when she was in middle school, and how she took the lead role. she had a hidden passion for the arts, but it seemed like this one little dinner conversation unveiled it.

grisha saw eren as himself. doing all the things he wishes he could've done when he was younger. he wanted to push eren into his little fantasies of being a second grader, a youth. focusing on sports rather than grades. being ruthless, bold, carefree. he wanted eren to enjoy it while he was still young, but, the problem was, eren didn't know if this was a thing he could enjoy.

if there was any cliched musical full with unrealistic scenarios and a likely unlikely pair that could relate the most to eren's dilemma, it would, sadly, be high school musical.