eighteen years.

❥❥❥❥❥❥

throughout most of the lesson, eren's hiccups interrupted the teacher whenever she tried to talk. she ignored it, but it annoyed levi and farlan.

when it came time for recess, farlan had dragged eren to the very end of the field. the only thing that was blocking them from the street was the iron gate.

"what do you—hic!—want?"

"stop that!" levi said, grabbing eren by the shoulders and shaking him back and forth. when eren still made that abrupt sound after, levi groaned and looked to farlan.

"how do you stop hiccups?"

he shrugged and did the most logical thing he could think of at that moment. he ran to mrs. sullivan and asked her about it.

after a few minutes of talk from mrs. sullivan, and annoying hiccups from eren—whenever levi heard him, he shook him, hoping that he could possibly scare them out—farlan ran back.

"mrs. sullivan doesn't know either. she said we should probably try to surprise eren."

eren just stared at the ground, prepared to launch himself to tears by the way his friends were treating him. levi and farlan moved away from eren to talk inconspicuously, with a few glances back at him.

then, levi crept closer, looked back at farlan, and butted his head with eren, attempting to brush his lips against eren's.

eren jumped from his place, yelping. then he hit the ground, the grass creating a spiky feeling on his legs. 

glaring up at levi, he exclaimed. "ew! disgusting! you have cooties!"

"don't only girls have cooties?" farlan asked, playing with a strand of hair that fell in his face, leaning against levi's back.

eren's hiccups had stopped, but it was replaced by relentless teasing towards levi. he wished that he hadn't even tried to help eren at a point.

"no. levi has cooties because he tried to smooch me!"

❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥
❥❥❥❥

"date me."

the words had spilled out of levi before he could think of anything else. he had finally been able to catch eren, as he sat on the side of the building, throwing stones.

with levi's statement, eren sighed and stood up, facing levi.

"no," was his reply. he went to walk away, but levi grabbed for his arm.

"don't you want to forget?"

eren went silent. he pursed his lips together, and looked down.

"do you want to know what this key unlocks to?" he asked quietly, like there was a thousand people watching him from the trees.

this did not solve levi's bewilderment. he wasn't particularly interested with anything involving that key, but if eren wanted to tell him, then so be it.

he didn't say anything, but eren continued, as if levi said yes.

"there's a hidden room behind a wall of books in his room," he said quickly. "he gave me this key to unlock his... notes."