Chapter six

I rub my eyes and yawn. That was the best nap I've had in a long time.

Wait.

Well-rested is not how I should feel right now. I quickly sit up straight and take in my surroundings. Swiss Cheese! I really ran away.

How did I end up underneath a blanket?

After folding it, I place my elbows on the small table and rest my chin on the back of my hands. Where's the panic? The regret? I should be petrified, but I feel surprisingly calm. My lungs are pumping air in and out without trouble.

The calm before the storm?

Let's pretend it's not.

My mind's a bit blurry. Everything happened in a haze. I hardly remember leaving church and speaking to my mother. However, I do have a very clear memory of a handsome yet equally annoying man sitting in front of me.

Don't think about that kiss.

Darn it! I really need to delete that image. More importantly, I need to call pest-control to get rid of those silly butterflies. I exhale deeply in hopes of setting them free. I'm sure it has nothing to do with him. It's just my inexperienced body yearning to be touched.

Not by him.

Definitely not.

I look down at myself. Tex said I have to dump the dress. I guess he's right. It would be weird to walk around in it. Where am I getting a different set of clothes, though?

The lack of noise suddenly seems loud. Where is everybody? I peek through the window and see them all stand outside with a beer in hand.

Okay, we stopped. This is my chance to get some things. When I look to my right, I find a stack of clothes on top of the table. Great! I can finally get out of this dress.

I reach behind my back like a snake-woman, but there's no way I'll be able to undo the laces myself. More than slightly embarrassed, I peek my head out of the door.

"Uhm ... " I scrape my throat. "Can someone help me?"

I make sure to keep my eyes on the drummer guy, he seemed friendly. I mean, Tex' hands on me will definitely bring back those memories. As to answer my question, the drummer looks at Tex. Just my luck.

Tex sighs and walks up to me. Is it really that much of a chore to lend me a helping hand?

"What do you need?" He sounds bored and annoyed.

Pretending his closeness doesn't make my skin hot, I straighten my shoulders. "Can you help me out of this dress?"

When his lips curl, a dimple shows. Sure, why not. He's already attractive like heck. What more damage could a cute dimple do? "You want me to undress you?"

Yes, and more.

What?

"Don't get all weird about it. I just need you to undo the laces." I head back inside and turn around.

"No need to get all uptight." He places a hand on my shoulder and I squirm internally. My body jerks a little when he roughly pulls at the strings.

Did he just groan?

When he tugs at the strings some more, the body loosens and falls. I quickly cross my arms to cover myself. He's still standing behind me. I can feel his heavy exhales on my skin.

Oh, boy.

Hot blood liquifies my insides. This is not good. The mere touch of his hand—his breath—should not evoke such a strong reaction. Not sure of what I want to happen, I turn around. His eyes rake my figure intensely, not meeting my eyes whatsoever.