Chapter twenty-four

Last night's events hang above us like dark smog. No playful smiles to brighten the day. When I woke this morning, he was already gone. The sheets were cold again.

I'm not surprised he left my bed without a word. He craves the physical more than the talking. In fact, we haven't spoken at all today.

Breakfast was definitely awkward. We didn't sit next to each other and we didn't speak. He didn't even make a funny-mean comment on the heap of chocolate chip waffles I ordered. His eyes remained on his bacon and scrambled eggs.

The others must have noticed as well. The mood was a bit gloomy. They must be tired from touring but also a little sad it's almost over. We all had a lot of fun.

The rest of the morning wasn't much better either. Once back in the bus, I inquired about the band's arrival in Los Angeles, their final stop. It was necessary for me to know so I could buy a plane ticket. Tex never interfered when I borrowed Roy's laptop to make the purchase nor did he object when Roy suggested to book me a room at the airport hotel. That way I won't have to take a cab from the studio. Logistic-wise a smart plan, though, it means cutting my time with the group a couple hours short.

Just like that, the plan was made. At 10:15 tomorrow morning, I'll be on a plane back to Faroaks. Tex' silence didn't surprise, yet it hurt. Not one single shred of emotion showed on his face. It made me wonder if I had imagined the smiles he gave me only days prior. Did I dream those sleepless nights where we did nothing but talk? Maybe it's all said and done. Nothing left to discuss.

He's incredibly cruel, though. Walking around without a shirt as if it's not hot enough already. His bare, tattooed chest glistens with a thin layer of sweat while he carries gear from the bus to the back entrance.

An hour ago, we arrived at the last venue. Tex made it painfully clear that he's going to keep himself busy so I can't bother him. As a result, I'm watching him from the far end of the parking lot like a peeping Tom.

Shamelessly, I must admit.

I tear my eyes away from his lean body and take my phone out of my back pocket to check the time. Minutes are passing too fast; the end is creeping closer. I tap the screen and frown.

Eight missed calls from David.

He kept to the background, mostly. I never answered the few calls he made and only texted him a couple of times to reassure him I was safe, but we never really talked. Maybe it was egotistical to devote all my thoughts to Tex when I should've been thinking about what to do with my life. I'm actually more clueless than I was before.

I walk to a quieter spot and hit dial. If David felt the need to call eight times, something might be wrong.

"Elizabeth, why didn't you answer me sooner?"

The demanding tone of his voice already makes me regret calling him back. "I was busy. Why did you call? Did something happen? Are my parents all right?"

"I only called to ask if you're coming home soon."

Thank baby Cheesus.

For a second, I thought something bad had happened. Once my heart settles to its regular rhythm, it sinks. "Yes, I'm coming back to Faroaks tomorrow."

"Good." He sounds proud, like my decision to go home can be awarded to him somehow. "I knew you would come to your senses, eventually. Where can I pick you up?"

Uhm. I take a breath to maintain a decisive tone. "David, we can have a real conversation when I'm back, I owe you that, but I'm not coming home to you. Our relationship is over."