Chapter thirty-eight

"Sure you wanna go out tonight?" Tex asks, bringing his head closer to mine when we approach a club named Sonic Boom. "We don't have to, if you rather stay in with Maggie."

"Don't be silly." I reach for my wallet in case we need to show ID. "I didn't invite Maggie over to keep her inside the apartment. Tonight will be fun."

He grumbles. "If you say so."

What's with his crabby mood? He was fine earlier. Maybe he's tired? "You can go back if you don't feel like partying. Get under the covers early."

He huffs and drags me inside. I only just manage to grab Maggie by the wrist to tow her along as well.

This place is nothing like the venues where the band played during the tour. Luminous geometric shapes are painted on the dark walls. A DJ stands behind a turntable on a raised podium, filling every corner of the room with fast and heavy beats. Colorful stage lights flicker accordingly and a very excited audience dances, or rather, jumps around.

Tex leads us to a nearly crowd-less spot in the far corner. I try to make myself audible close to his ear. "This music is very different from yours." 

His teeth glow purple for some reason. Must be the lighting. He places his hand on my chest, surprisingly, above the boobs. "Do you feel that? The bass is not that different. Actually, you can draw parallels throughout almost any genre."

I simply awe at his face, my lips slightly parted. "You really are the cat's pajamas."

He blows an off-guard chuckle in my ear. "The fuck does that mean?"

Before I can explain him the meaning of that silly phrase, someone puts his arms around us, shouting excitedly, "What's up, party people?"

Frank doesn't expect an answer. He circles over to Maggie, slowly, as if he's afraid she'll run from him. Not so subtlety, his gaze wanders the entirety of her figure. "Who's this heavenly creature?"

Maggie eyes him up and down as well, probably thinking the same as me. Who knew a man could look that good in leather pants and an Oxford button-down? Perhaps, it's the casual way the sleeves are rolled up.

My flustered friend straightens her back and takes his outreached hand. "I'm Maggie, Ellie's friend."

Quite dramatically, with one arm behind his back, he bows to kiss her knuckles, keeping her locked in his stare. "Enchanté."

How gallant.

Maggie is not one to get tight-lipped, but she seems rather dazzled by Frank's flirting. He gives her a smoldering wink and then turns to us, holding up two small Ziplocks. "What's our poison tonight? Uppers or uppers?"

I recognize the pills to be ecstasy, but I'm not sure about the white powder. "What's that?"

Frank shakes the bag I'm pointing at and grins. "Ah, this is a very special batch of powdered sugar from Bolivia."

My eyes grow big. "Really?"

Tex blows out an annoyed breath. "Jesus, Birdie. It's cocaine."

Makes more sense.

My heart skips a little. It's sounds dangerous but also ... exciting? Tex doesn't seem shocked or surprised, just a little wary. I know why, of course. He's afraid I can't handle this part of his life.

He's wrong, though. I'll show them all that I can be like them. Without a shred of doubt, I nod at the white powder. "I'd like to try the cocaine, please."

"Ellie! What the hell?" Maggie drags me a couple steps away and whisper-shouts in my ear, "This doesn't sound like you at all."

I look away from her judging eyes. "Have you never tried it?"