Chapter thirty-nine

I run the hair-straightener through my hair once more. It took some time to flatten my stubborn natural waves. I've never looked this ... mature.

It's more in line with how the other girls present themselves. I mirror-check my appearance. Not a half-bad job, if I say so myself. The black strapless tube dress isn't short, but it's tight all around, leaving little to the imagination. It pairs nicely with my choice of eyeshadow—midnight blue, for obvious reasons.

The heels proved to be trickier. Charlotte suggested studded stilettos but I'm not that brave, so I went for subtle suede ankle-strap heels. All and all, this outfit complies with tonight's theme.

Hollywood glam.

Vicky and Charlotte decided to throw a theme party at their place. The former, I could do without. The latter, though, I've grown quite fond of. Charlotte really tried to include me in their group the last couple of weeks. We've been shopping and hanging out without the guys.

Through the mirror, I watch Tex enter the bedroom. He glances at me and then again, this time with his mouth open. "Who the fuck are you?"

I roll my eyes, smiling. "What do you think? Too much?"

"Too little, I'd say." He hooks his index finger under the hem of my dress and pretends to peek underneath. "I can almost see your ovaries."

"Tex!" I swat his hand away. "That's disgusting. Besides, it's a knee-length dress. You're exaggerating."

He pouts a little. "Yeah, but it doesn't really hide anything."

I trace the curve of my hips with my fingers. "Perhaps you're right. My figure is too shapely for a dress like this.

"Jesus! That's not what I meant. Believe me, with that body you should only wear skin-tight clothes." He steps behind me, looking at me trough the mirror while his hands slowly move from my middle to my rear, squeezing it firmly. "Why do you think I got you those yoga pants?"

My blood was already warming when I caught sight of him. I mean, he's wearing nothing but a towel with a dangerously loose tuck. That thing could drop any second. "What's the problem then? You sounded dismissive about my outfit."

"Obviously, I don't want other guys to have the same filthy thoughts I'm having right now. Some of them are barely legal."

Did the air conditioner break?

I turn in his arms and cross my wrists behind his neck. "I understand, but would you wear super baggy clothes because I asked you to? I'm positive that you get more attention from girls than I get from guys."

A huff blows from his nose. "That's not even remotely true."

"Yes, it is. Don't play dumb, you know darn well that you're a chick-magnet. The amount of whispers and giggles increase dramatically whenever you're in a room."

He tries to look like he doesn't care but his face turns bright red. "We're digressing. Your outfit is the point of discussion."

I roll my eyes again and walk over to the dresser to fetch my earrings. "It's not a discussion. I'm keeping it on."

"Fine—fuck." He grunts melodramatically. "Since you're adamant about torturing me, it's probably best I have a wank before we go. Apparently, it's in bad taste to show up with a boner—or so I've heard."

I can't stop my cheeks from flushing. "What—uhm—do you think about when you ... touch yourself."

He shrugs. "Porn, usually."