Ten

Merlin looked from Arthur to the ring and back again. 'What?'

Arthur closed his fist and put his hand down. 'I've thought about this, and it makes perfect sense. If my father ever suspects you of your magic, I won't be able to lie. I know myself; I won't be able to keep up the deception.'

'Yeah? Because that's my special talent. Leave all the deception to me.'

'Don't you understand? It's for your own good. As long as I know your secret, your life is in danger.'

Merlin swallowed, betrayal still lingering in his eyes. And here he thought a weight had been lifted off his chest.

'It's not just for your good. It's... For the good of Camelot. What you've been doing in secret, ultimately is for Camelot. Its people. I need you to keep doing what you've been doing.' Arthur held out the ring.

Merlin took it after a moment and stared at it sitting in his palm. He and Gaius had studied the writing inside. He was pretty confident he knew how the magic worked. But he never expected he would be its user. The metal was cold, weighed, in his hand. 'Are you sure?' he asked.

'My father would never see that there are other ways of looking at magic. That those with it are no different to any of us. It is no use trying to change his ways.' Arthur hesitated before saying, 'It will not always be that way. I see things differently. And I'll make sure everyone else will too when I am king.'

Merlin stood conflicted.

'Gaius said the spell is able to be reversed. That's what you must do when the time comes.'

'When you are king?'

Arthur nodded with conviction. 'Yes.'

'That sounds like a very long-shot of a plan.'

'As I said, I've thought about this.'

'Well, what if you see things differently in the future? I mean, we don't even know how far into the future we're talking. What if you just hold a sword at my throat when I take you aside to undo the spell? This isn't going to work!'

'It will. Trust me, Merlin. Unless, something changes beyond reason.'

'Such as?'

'Something that turns me against magic for all of eternity, I don't know!'

'I'm being serious.'

'So am I. You are to make me forget that I know about your magic. And when the time comes –unless you have reason to believe I have turned against magic for good- you are to reverse the spell.'

Merlin unclasped the top of the ring and took out the spell. After closing it again he put the ring on his index finger. Strange, it fit perfectly, like submitting to a master. 'I'm ready.'

Arthur smiled and gave a nod. 'So am I.'

Merlin thought back to his discussion with Gaius. The wearer had to chant the whole spell then focus on the memory –on the one truth- they wanted to erase from the other person's mind. He unrolled the strip of paper, looked at Arthur then read out the spell. A great surge of wind engulfed them at the second word. It knocked Arthur down to the leafy ground, unconscious. Merlin continued the line, taking a glimpse at Arthur's fallen body, and reached the last rough syllables of the spell.

Let him forget I have magic.

And it was done.

'What happened?' Arthur began rising from the ground.

'You...' This again. Making up lies, speaking in double meanings. 'Tripped.' He hated it. How much happier he was at the start of the day. Without a burden.

'Really? I tripped?' Arthur shoved past him. 'You sure it wasn't you? You look like you're going to cry or something.'

Merlin could feel the prick in his eyes. 'Yeah, I fell too. Something must have gotten in my eye.'

'Funny, it took both of us out. Like all those other times...' Arthur muttered.

'What other times?'

'You'd know. You've been there with me when they happen.'

'When you get knocked out?'

'More like, when something mysteriously gets us out of trouble. Like how Ulrich got knocked down in that cellar.'

A cold shadow came over Merlin's eyes. 'Like magic?'

'Whatever it is, I'm glad of the times it's helped us.' He was about to mount his horse when he noticed Merlin seemed caught on his last words.

'You really mean that?'

Arthur narrowed his eyes a little. 'I do.' He launched himself on to the horse's saddle. 'Just don't speak of it when my Father is around.'

Arthur would keep his word. Merlin could trust him -he had to. 'Don't worry, I won't.' Erasing the memory was the right thing to do.

All he had to do was wait for the day he could reveal it again. Unless Arthur turned against magic for good in that time.

******

Author note: Thank you for reading. I'm always fascinated by coming-of-age internal journeys (like our boys Merlin and Arthur go through!) and a bit of history/magic doesn't hurt either. If you're interested in my original story, Aquaria: A City of Masks and Wraiths, please visit my profile. : )