Six

Ulrich's manor -the one he recently acquired through his machinations- was something of a small fortress, atop a hill and cut off from the rest of town.

The men rode up the slope, led by Arthur. Merlin rode beside him, neither sharing more than words of necessity ever since they left the woods and met up with the knights. The knights themselves spoke very little, an awkward shroud around them. Sir Ethan was officially supposed to be leading the way. But he hesitated and let the Prince take his old position as commander. Merlin could tell Arthur just wanted this to be over so that he could forget all this ever happen and return to being the head of the knights.

The guard at the manor opened the door to the great hall, and the knights stormed in, surrounding Ulrich's long table. He sat at its head, a lone diner dressed in heavy velvet robes. He resumed eating and drinking in leisure, even as Arthur declared their purpose of the visit. 'My lord,' he said to Arthur, still chewing, 'will you not join me for a drink first?'

'I will not state our accusation again,' Arthur replied, standing at the other end of the table. 'I am giving you a chance to relinquish the ring, before we conduct our own search.'

Merlin, like the other knights, took a glimpse of the man's hand. There were more than one ring on his fingers. But there was one that stood out on his right index finger, as he curled his fingers around his goblet. It was a silver ring with a heavy, opaque stone.

'I do not know what you speak of,' Ulrich claimed.

'Arrest him,' said Arthur.

Merlin jumped back as the knights swooped in on Ulrich in a rush of silver and ringing of mail.

Arthur had his sword drawn and stood ready but did not move.

Ulrich stood suddenly, and seconds before the tip of any sword could touch him, struck his arm out. He uttered a string of words, his irises lighting up in gold. The knights flew backward against their wills, as if they were tiny pegs felled by the landing of a heavy animal paw. They dropped back on the floor in thuds and clattering of swords. Ulrich's own men rushed into the scene, and the knights were fighting them as they rose from the ground.

Arthur drove two men away in a clang of swords when he spotted Ulrich run off. He ran down a corridor after him, finding Merlin steps behind. Ulrich abruptly opened a side door up ahead and disappeared inside.

When they followed him into the small, dark chamber, they found it vacant.

Arthur and Merlin slowly stepped around the room, scanning the shadowy walls. A metallic scuff rang through the quiet. Merlin looked down to find he tripped against a clamp on the ground.

'A trapdoor,' said Arthur and squatted to the ground.

After they opened the square door, they climbed down a ladder and into the underground chamber. They followed a glow of a torch up ahead down the narrow corridor. It took them to a reasonably wide chamber where they found the sorcerer. The man uttered a foreign word and the torches in the room came alive with flames. Another short incantation, and Merlin and Arthur heard a screech. Behind them a metallic grate came down to the ground. They were trapped in the chamber with Ulrich.

Arthur drew his sword and gripped it in both hands. He had one shot at this: take down Ulrich before he could cast his next spell.

'Impressive,' said Ulrich, 'to see His Highness putting on a brave face. And what do we have back there?' He bent his neck to take a look at Merlin. 'Loyal to his Master until the end?'

That's when Arthur moved, while Ulrich's eyes were away from him. He drove his sword forward, in line to strike Ulrich squarely.

Ulrich just as quickly raised his palm outward.

Arthur dropped his sword. A rush of electricity shocked his wrist, within his veins. Ulrich chanted again and made Arthur and Merlin fly back the short distance to crash against the thick bars of the grate.

Ulrich picked up Arthur's sword and loomed over him and Merlin who were now dropped to the ground. 'Oh look, I can kill you in the knight's way, after all.'

The world spun as Merlin tried to get up. He saw Arthur raise himself on his hands and knees. He must have been feeling the same dizziness. Despite which he managed to stand. Only to crumble back down to the floor. Ulrich used the spell he did earlier, the one that seemed to send a shock through its victim. This time Ulrich wasted no time and raised the sword over Arthur.

Even with the pain that thrummed through his body, Merlin managed to raise himself on his knees and shot out an arm in Ulrich's direction. Arthur was lying right there, he remembered in some faraway place in his mind. He couldn't tell whether Arthur was conscious or not. He couldn't afford to care.

He uttered a spell, and his irises flared gold. Ulrich shot up into the air and crashed back down on the ground several steps away.

But Ulrich was quick to rise. Merlin, not so. He still felt wobbly. It was even worse than a moment ago; casting the spell wore out the last of his strength. He watched Ulrich rise to his feet and stand over him. Merlin did nothing. He was about to collapse.

Everything seemed to pass too slowly. Like Arthur running to his sword and picking it up. The prince stood behind Ulrich and before the sorcerer could cast another spell, he drove the blade through him.

Ulrich, still with an arm outstretched, collapsed to the ground face first.

Merlin put a hand to his head and met Arthur's eyes. 'Thanks,' he managed.

Arthurhad no humour or relief in his eyes. 'You have magic.'