Witches Language

[art by Allie Royal]

On the plateau, Lara watched fascinated as Lienkin conducted his ritual, walking in a circle always facing inward toward the giant rock that served as his alter. Before she realized it, she was walking beside him, roving in a circle facing inward and closing in slowly. They stopped circling once both had come in close enough to touch the alter with their toes. He put his wand back on the surface and dropped to his knees facing her. Reaching up, Lienkin seized her hand and gently tugged her down to her knees in front of him.

Lara, do you hear me? Came to her, breaking through her thoughts. It was Lienkin's voice and she didn't understand how he had put it in her mind. She looked at him in surprise and nodded. I want to give you a gift. The ability to speak to each other with the mind. It is the language of the witches. It is a talent we usually keep strictly to ourselves, no other creature has it. Again Lara nodded, understanding the significance of the gift he was offering to her. Lienkin smiled warmly at her and looked up into the sky. He spoke a few words in the same unidentifiable language that he'd spoken earlier then dropped his gaze to the level of her eyes. I need you to repeat everything I say, Lara.

She repeated his words carefully, making sure to pronounce each one with the same accent and emphasis. Once more Lienkin smiled at her, a charming smile that made her insides melt into butter. Then, he added a few more words before pausing so she could repeat them.

The process took a while, especially since they had to wait while she repeated the words which were foreign and difficult to her. She sent him a shaky smile when he hesitated to speak any more words. The silence stretched on and she wondered if she had messed it all up somehow. What happens now? She thought.

Now, you can speak the witches language, Lienkin answered her. She jumped, caught by surprise. His grin was infectious as he nodded his affirmation.

Really? Lara thought, trying to direct the thought right at him.

Yes really, he replied. Lara jumped up to her feet and spun around in a circle, completely overflowing with amazement. She took it all in with her eyes to the sky and her arms held out wide. The magic atmosphere was sugary sweet and she drank it in thirstily. She felt so elated by the new talent she was given and how amazing it was to hear and direct her thoughts to another.

I feel like dancing! She exclaimed, hardly resisting the urge to shout out loud.

So dance, Lienkin encouraged her, taking her up into his own arms. With his hands on her waist he twirled her around with her feet floating in the air above the ground. The minute her feet touched the ground again she spun out of his reach, dancing circles around the boulder. Lienkin laughed heartily and chased her around the circle that she danced. After a few playful turns, they both fell to the ground exhausted but laughing.

The moon was moving away from them, reluctantly allowing the sun to relieve her of her watchful post. Lara ran her fingers and rubbed her bare feet through the soft mossy ground. The velvety feel of it was very cool and refreshing, making Lara feel even cozier and more comfortable. Everything about Lienkin's secret place was perfect.

Lienkin scooted his way closer to Lara, reaching across to brush a strand of her hair away from her face and tuck it behind her ear. Her hair had dried and was all wild and feathery like his.

"Lara, you're so beautiful," he murmured. "So lovely, I could kiss those starlit eyes of yours," and to her amazement, he leaned in and she closed her eyes as he branded each of her eyelids with a quick kiss. "And that pretty little nose of yours," which he acted out his words by rubbing his nose to hers in an Eskimo kiss. "But most of all..." he continued, "I want...Lara," his voice sounded nearly pleading, "I want to kiss you on your lips." A shiver of excitement ran through Lara's body as she imagined them in a movie worthy make-out scene, kissing each other.

That scene never happened. He came so close to kissing her, he was leaning over by supporting himself with an arm on both sides of her, lowering his face close to hers while staring at her mouth intently. Less than an inch away from her lips though, the same thing that happed before happened again. He jerked up, his eyes wide open, and his gaze far away. What, what, what?! She felt like screaming.

Lienkin quickly lifted himself up and turned to gather their shoes. Lara sat up, hugging her knees as she watched him take off. "We cannot stay here," he told her emotionlessly, gracelessly tossing her shoes to her. Feeling confused and slighted, Lara put her shoes on under his impatient gaze. As soon as both her laces were tied, he held his hand out to her. She put her hand in his only to be yanked to her feet. "C'mon," Lienkin insisted, and they took off back down the slope, leaving behind the haven they'd shared on top of the plateau.

"I wonder if it will work," Tres mused giddily to herself. She held the stone up in the clear morning sun. It was just after dawn and she had used her newly empowered rose quartz.

Tres woke up early to catch the first rays of sunlight so she could cast a love charm while sitting in the same clearing she found the fair one in. Love charms were meant to be anonymous and bring the love into your life that you were already destined to have.

Lienkin IS my destiny, Tres thought defensively, justifying herself for altering the charm she'd cast. Instead of leaving the effects up to fate, she'd directed her charm specifically toward Lienkin. It's not like I need to bring him into my life anyway, since we've already met. She smiled cheerfully, convinced by her own explanation.

How would he react the next time he saw her? Would he stare as if he had never before seen her for whom she really is? Would he dance for her at circles? She delighted in each thought as she skipped gaily through the village back to her own home. The fair one meant nothing now. Tres felt far fairer in the eyes of the Immortal Moon Queen after last night.