Ch. 15: Are You Smarter than A Werewolf?

JAMES

I had been awake for two days now and I was losing my mind.

The human doctor, who I learned is called Parker Ashcroft, is some kind of research genius. He is a surgeon in the Neurology department and his research specialty focuses on the regeneration of nerve cells. And guess what his side project is? Werewolf genetics. He is currently studying the rapid regeneration of werewolf nerve endings.

It was pretty interesting research and maybe when I start college, I'll definitely be interested in going into that field. But right now, I think all the werewolves in the hospital conference room were a little unsteady about a human having so much knowledge of werewolves and our anatomy. Hopefully, he's not planning on doing a cross-species analysis because that would be an abomination of the natural order.

I shook my head from my personal thoughts and focused back on what Dr. Ashcroft was explaining about the pill.

I growled. That damn pill! It almost took Cameron's wolf from me!

"--whenever you ingest the pill." Dr. Parker was busy explaining. "The pill is an inhibitor of the allele, WLF33. It causes the human half of your body to shut down and it stops the wolf form of your body from shifting." Dr. Parker paused and stared at me.

He looked to me to make sure I had a clear understanding. I nodded my head, yes. He continued.

"Fortunately, we have come up with a temporary antidote that we are calling anti-WLF33. This reverses the effects of the pill if ingested in any form. The only downside is that the reversal is unusually slow." He looked at me again. Then he turned to the beautiful woman sitting beside me.

I turned to her too. She was drop dead gorgeous! I'm pretty sure if I was into older women and if I didn't love Cameron so much, I could definitely fall in love with her. I could feel myself blushing.

What the hell? I looked away suddenly shy.

She gently turned me towards her again. She had a heart stopping smile on her face and I couldn't help myself and returned the smile. I heard a thunderous growl and we both whipped our heads towards the fierce looking Alpha that was a friend of my dad's.

"Kyle!" The pretty woman reprimanded him.

He just huffed. "Come sit by me. Now." He ordered her. His words were low, but there was definitely a strong command in them.

What kind of Alpha was he? There was too much power radiating around him.

The beautiful woman rolled her eyes, but stood up anyway and made her way over to him. Must be mates, I thought sadly.

Watching them hold each others hands and smile at each other caused my heart to lodge into my throat. I wasn't one to break down, but I felt like I could cry at any moment.

Shıt, I needed to be strong!

I focused back on the doctor who had resumed speaking after the rude interruption by the powerful Alpha, Kyle.

"As I was saying, if it hadn't been for Nyla's," he waved his hands in the air "uh, whatever it is she did, we wouldn't have been able to speed up the reversal and you would still be in a coma.

Ah, so Nyla was her name.

"But, don't worry because we've already went back to the lab and started redefining our formula for our antidote. And we are currently running comparisons with your blood work, James." He continued speaking.