Part 7.3) Autumn Holidays and Observations: Thanksgiving Day

7.3) Thanksgiving Day

Also known as Turkey Day, This holiday has a dark past, however, the holiday of Thanksgiving as we know today, wasn't all joyous.

Here's why.

Thanksgiving Day History:

The event that Americans commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in October 1621. This feast lasted three days, and—as recounted by attendee Edward Winslow—was attended by 90 Native Americans and 53 Pilgrims.

But this holiday was actually a day of remembrance for the Indian tribes who lost people During the war with the pilgrims however. Many Native Americans do not celebrate the arrival of the Pilgrims and other European settlers. To them, Thanksgiving Day is a reminder of the genocide of millions of their people, the theft of their lands, and the relentless assault on their cultures.

Therefore, A treaty of Thanksgiving was signed, as a sign of peace between the native American tribes and the pilgrims, and thus, in the year of our Lord, 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states.

Thanksgiving Day Traditions:

Thanksgiving Day Prayers

Commonly known as the Thanksgiving Meal Grace

Commonly known as the Thanksgiving Meal Grace... (Again, for our religious members and theloneskywalker this is for you guys) this is a prayer said before the family serves and eats their family dinner served at the table on Thanksgiving. The prayer goes something like this:  "O Gracious God, we give you thanks for your overflowing generosity to us. Thank you for the blessings of the food we eat and especially for this feast today. Thank you for our home and family and friends, especially for the presence of those gathered here. Thank you for our health, our work, and our play. Amen."

Family Grand Meal