chapter 9

Naegi's pov:

"why did i tell him that?!" I thought frantically. I took an interest in the floor and focused on it, examining most of the details. it was a nice floor. it was polished marble since togami is soooo rich. 

silence

"nightmares eh?" he asked. I nodded still looking at the floor. "and their about what?" he asked. there was a sort of tone to his voice that made him sound uninterested. "nothing important" I muttered. "and its not like you care"  "I dont" he said

(togami: ceo of making people feel better-)

"im just curious" he said with a finger on his chin. "well its nothing important" I lied. "doubt it" he rolled his eyes. "its not like you would care" I repeated. he scoffed, "just tell me..not like I care i'm just curious" he said hesitantly. I blinked, "does he actually...care?" I thought. "you sure you dont care?" I smiled. he glared, "of course I dont you peasant" 

I gave a dopey smile which he noticed. "what?" he asked pushing up his glasses. "you care!" I said kinda laughing. "I-I do not!" he exclaimed. I smiled and he didn't smile back. "so what are your nightmares about?" he asked raising an eyebrow. my smile faded and I looked at the floor. "nice floor" I said. He scoffed, "yes I guess, now answer my question" he ordered. "i'm not answering anything" I said crossing my arms. 

"oh yes you are. i'm demanding you" togami said. "just because your rich and important doesn't mean i have to listen to you" I laughed a little. suddenly he grabbed my shirt and pulled me in. "oh no..you have to listen to me" he said. our faces were a few inches away and I could feel my face heating up. "u-um" I stammered trying to ignore my probably red hot face. "c-can you let go and m-move away" I asked softly. "not until you tell me about those nightmares" he said with a piercing glare. "fine i'll tell you" I said and he let go of me. I took a second to breath and get my heart rate back to normal. "are you done. can you talk now" he rolled his eyes. I nodded, "yeah...also your face was um kinda close to my face" I said. he tilted his head, "dont change the subject" he said. 

I looked at the ground for like the 4th time and fidgeted with my hands. "are you going to tell me what your stupid nightmares are about?" he asked. "do I have to?" I whined. "yes that was the deal" he said. "their just about..everyone dying" I muttered. "oh" he seemed to catch on what they were about. "even the people who didn't die were killed or executed right in front of me" I sighed. I still was looking at the ground and repeating over and over in my brain to not cry. it didn't really work and one by one tears slipped down my cheek. "no no no dont cry" I thought wiping them quickly. "even me?" he asked still sounding a tiny bit uninterested. I nodded, "you either got killed by genocider or killed her and then got executed" I said shrugging helplessly. "what..was my execution?" he asked uncrossing his arms. "you just died from hypothermia or something" I muttered. "and you just watched?" he questioned. "I was just forced to watch" I said. "hm" he nodded. "yeah..." I muttered. "and when did you start getting these nightmares?" togami asked. "a bit after...the killing game" I shrugged. "well...I did suspect that those were your nightmares" he said. I nodded again staring at the floor. 

it was a nice floor

"you should try to sleep" he said. "I try and I try and I try" I said my voice cracking at the end. "but the same nightmare just comes back over and over" I clenched my fists. he tilted his head, "so they just come back over and over?" he asked. I nodded. "either way you still should try to sleep" he said. "I-I dont want to see the nightmares again" I said tugging at my shirt. "im presuming thats why you dont get much sleep" he said pushing up his glasses. "yeah. their horrible" I said. "ah frick im crying" I thought. you ever just cry even though you dont want to because your afraid of embarrassing yourself? i'm sort of in that situation myself. I looked at the ground my head hanging low. it hung low as if it was concrete pulling me down. im only looking at the floor so Togami wouldn't see my crying. if he did he would most likely didn't care or just mock me. 

"You still should sleep" he sighed. I half-laughed, "why do you care?" I asked. "i dont care..I just want you to stop bothering me" he said. "even if I tried to sleep down there I would just wake up thrashing or something" I said. he scoffed, "then sleep up here" he said. "huh?" I looked up, my tears dry. "you heard me" he snorted. "I mean theres a comfy chair and blankets so why not?" I thought to myself. "I dont want to bother you since you get bothered easily" I said. "I dont care" Togami said. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped the blanket around me tighter. "thanks" I muttered. "just dont tell anyone or i'll sue you" he glared. I laughed a little and nodded. "fine I wont tell anyone you actually care about me" I said smiling. he rolled his eyes but was also kinda smiling. "again you better not tell anyone" he sighed.  "fine" I said. my eyes drooped. I just realized how tired I was and that I haven't slept in a bit. "night" I muttered sleepily ignoring the thunder. I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

Togami's pov:

"at least the boy is sleeping" I thought. I continued reading glancing at him every so often. he looked...a little peaceful while sleeping. "why am I even helping him?" I thought. "he's just another low-life peasant"

"then why are you caring for him and helping him?" a small part of my brain asked."to get him off my back" I answered in my brain. "if you wanted to get rid of him you could have acted like you act with all the other students" it said. "am I seriously having an argument with my brain?!" I thought. "yes you are now answer the question" it said. "....." I thought about it. 

BOOM

the thunder snapped me from my thoughts and i forgotten what i was thinking about. I looked at Naegi and rolled my eyes. part of the blanket fell off so now half of his body was covered with the blanket. I stood up and picked the blanket up and draped it on him. I sat back down and picked up my book. "thanks" someone mumbled. I almost jumped and looked next to me. it was just naegi. I sighed, "i thought you were asleep" I asked. he shrugged, "i kinda woke up because of the thunder" he said. I nodded and continued reading. "just try to sleep" I said. he nodded and closed his eyes once more. "your not a bad person y'know" he muttered. "whatever" I scoffed. "im serious. your not to bad" he said smiling softly. I blinked, "not..so bad?" I thought. "hm thanks" I said glancing at him. he smiled and closed his eyes.

"why are you caring for him?" the small part of my brain thought again. "ugh you again?!" I thought. "yes me again now answer the question"

"...."

"do I...like him?"