Fired

I flopped into the seat next to the hospital bed. I couldn't believe everything that had happened today. Violet had the flu, but it had taken a huge tole in her body since she was only three. I laid back in the chair, just now realizing how tired I was. Vi's fever had kept me up most of the night, and I left pretty early this morning to go to work. I didn't want to go to sleep until we got home.

Suddenly, I remembered the piece of paper that guy left on the table. I considered texting him, jut to have someone to talk to and keep me awake. I decided nothing bad could happen and pulled the piece of paper from my pocket and unfolded it.

But it had been soaked by the rain and the ink had run, making it illegible.

Sighing, I lay my head against the back of the chair. My mom had gone to get some food and Vi was asleep, so I really didn't have anything to keep me awake. The TV on the wall only had one channel, the news, so that really wasn't any help.

Just as I started to drift off to sleep, the nurse came in.

"Alright. Doctor says you guys are ready to go home?"

"More than ready."

He smiled as he started to unhook her IV. Finally, we were on our way out the door.

(-)

"Vivien!" Dexter called from his office. "A moment, please." I set the plates in front of the people I was serving and hurried to the office.

"Yes?"

"What happened yesterday? You called Jeremy in and left in a hurry."

"Yes, Violet got really sick. I had to take her to the hospital."

"I see. But this is the third time you've left work on a busy day to take care of your daughter."

"I know, but I still don't know where her dad is, my mom can't always watch her, and I still can't afford a sitter."

"Look, I know times like these can be difficult. But this has effected my business. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to let you go."

My mouth ran dry. What was I going to do? I couldn't raise my daughter without a job, I was only hired here a few months ago, right after my ex husband skipped town, and there were no other businesses in town hiring.

"I-I see." I got up and left, holding back tears as I untied my apron and lay it on the front counter.

(-)

"He fired you?!? After after the sacrifices you made for that job?!?" I was on the phone with my mother, who was absolutely furious.

"Yeah. I'm stopping ot get milk real quick, then I'll be home."

"Alright. I love you."

"I love you, too." I hung up the phone and went inside the store. I ignored the shopping baskets at the front since I was only coming in for milk. I walked straight to the back and grabbed the milk, than was on my way to the front when I remembered Vi was almost out of Pull-Ups. I turned around and headed toward the baby section. When I turned into the aisle, I found the brand I always use.

Shit, I thought. I had forgotten to grab an employee. The Pull-Ups were on the top shelf, right out of my reach. I looked around. No one. I decided instead of going to find someone, to climb onto the bottom shelf. I set the milk and my purse down and stepped onto the bottom shelf. I stretched my arm as far as I could, but I still couldn't reach.

"Woah," I heard a deep voice say behind me. "Let me help you." A long, tattooed arm reached up and grabbed the Pull-Ups from the shelf.

"Thank you." I said hopping down from the shelf. I took the Pull-Ups from him and froze when I saw his face. He had silver hair, glasses, and dimples that just shouted "friendly."

So I finally got home and back to my laptop. Sorry about the late update and dip, but this weekend was crazy and I have school tomorrow. I promise to update soon!