6-Sweet

This is just a little filler chapter that doesn't really have much to do with the story, but I really wanted to write it, so yeah.

~~~~~

It was close to nightfall when the guard walked into his bakery. He was honestly surprised to see him, and smiled to himself, knowing that he made the right decision to ask Dream of this incredibly small, yet large, favor.

"Good evening, sir." Darryl greeted the guard. "How may I help you?"

The younger male looked around the small bakery, eyeing the goods around him. The aroma of the shop was sweet, and smelled of freshly baked bread.

"What would you recommend?" He asked the baker.

His tone was soft, sweet, much like the aroma of the shop. He almost looked like a child, eyes full of wonder and curiosity. Darryl wondered on how this man could strike fear in the hearts of others, with such an innocent aura to him.

"Hm, I might be a little biased, but I'd recommend these muffins." He said, grabbing a couple and putting them on a plate. "It's an old family recipe."

The guard gently grabbed the warm treat, the sweet aroma becoming more prominent as he brought it closer to his nose. He moaned in delight as he took a bite. It was warm and sweet, the berries in the dough almost melted in his mouth, it seemed. It reminded him of going to the bakery every morning for breakfast as a child.

"O-oh, I should probably pay you, right?" The guard asked, coming back to his senses. "How does one gold coin sound?"

"N-no, that's way too much!" The baker argued. "I wouldn't even ask for a silver coin!"

"I insist." The guard said, putting a small golden disk on the counter. "Something this Good should be paid in a kings crown."

The baker blushed at the compliment, still shaking his head. "It's still too much."

"Then let this pay for every other time I come here for one of your goods." The guard settled. "Let me pay this gold coin, and you don't have to make me pay if you don't want to."

"Y-you're coming back?" The baker asked, shock in his tone.

"Well yeah. Itd be a crime to not come back to enjoy your goods."

The baker blushed again as the guard turned to go. "C-can I at least get your name?"

Of course, he already knew his name. Everyone in the kingdom knows of the highly ranked royal guards. He put it off as a sort of 'genuinely wanting to know you better' sort of thing.

The guard smiled. "Zak Ahmed, the Captain of the Royal Guards left hand man."

And, with that, the guard left as quickly as he came.

~<•>~

Despite growing up in a noble family, he always went down to the bakery every morning for some bread or maybe even a scone if he was lucky.

He always paid the baker well, so it wasn't like he hated the boy.

And, truth be told, it wasn't just the goods that kept the boy coming.

The bakers son would help his father in the mornings, usually around the time the young noble boy came for breakfast. They never spoke to each other, never needed to, but they each had their opinions on the other.

The bakers son deemed the noble boy loud and, quite frankly, annoying. But, he could tell that the younger boy was caring for others.

The noble boy deemed the bakers son quiet and seemingly always busy. But he could also sense a sort of empathetic aura to the older boy, who also clearly adored the goods in his fathers shop.

As the years flew by, the noble boy stopped visiting the bakery, and soon, forgot about it entirely, and with it, the bakers son.

But the bakers son never forgot about the noble boy, and would always watch the, now grown, noble boy watch the kingdom.

At the time, the bakers son, now the baker, always sensed something about that particular guard that was so familiar.

His memory of the noble boy that would visit the bakery each morning didn't resurface until he saw the boy in the guards face.

~~~~~

709 words

This may or may not be regarding the story a tad bit later on.

But basically, Zak and Darryl (kinda) knew each other as kids and Darryl didn't remember Zak until Zak came back to the bakery.

That probably made even less sense, but whatever.

Also, I googled if a left-hand man is a thing, and I found this in the related searches