Love and Loss

Annabeth woke up in her soft bed. She sat up. It was a month since she had regained the throne and the room still felt unfamiliar. She had tried sleeping in her old room and had was plagued with nightmares for three nights before she decided to switch rooms. She had thought that regaining the throne would provide her some security, but everything kept reminding her of past griefs.

Why was it that a dish, a mosaic, or even a glance at the floor could send her thoughts to her Luke? Why was it that the cry of a baby, the goofy smile of Jason's, or the softness of a blanket could remind her of Frederick? The palace was filled with visible reminders of her father, but Annabeth found that the reminders of her son and husband were harder to bear. They had been murdered and she had been unable to attend their burial. As she was still waking fully that morning, Annabeth vowed to visit their gravestone.

     She dressed and had a simple breakfast of bread and watered down wine before heading to the back door. She was just opening the door when a voice stopped her. "You aren't going out alone, surely?"

     Annabeth turned around to see Jason. He was smiling slightly and the scar on his lip looked very white in comparison to his tanned skin. She had once asked him what brave feet had scarred him so and learned that he had tried to eat a dagger as a toddler. "Why not?" she asked.

"You are empress, remember?" Jason said. "You need protection."

Annabeth nodded, thinking that she didn't necessarily trust her guards. Many of them had been disloyal to her — some still perhaps harbored such feelings. Besides, she couldn't stop wondering if any of the guards had turned an eye to the murder of her husband and son. Yet, Jason has risked his life for her and so she nodded. "You can be my escort then," Annabeth said.

Normally, she'd be accompanied by several guards, but today she appreciated the lack of them. Percy had left a month ago to accompany Matthew and Bobby to Greece and she couldn't help wishing she were with him. With Jason behind her, she walked in the slightly cool morning air towards the grave of her deceased husband and son. It was her first time visiting the site and her stomach was knotted as she got closer.

The grave was large, as befitting of Luke and Frederick. An inscription on the grave marker read "From dust ye came and dust ye shall become." Annabeth frowned; she certainly would not have chosen that quote and decided she would change it.

She kneeled before the graveyard, closed her eyes, and bowed her head. "Dear Lord," she whispered. "You gave me the most wonderful husband and son. I miss him dearly."

She let herself cry. She was so used to holding it in — showing a strong face to others — that the tears left her eyes like a heavy rainstorm after a drought. She let herself cry until the sobs subsided and the tears slowed down.

She wiped her face and stood up. Jason inclined his head towards her. "I know you're dealing with a lot, Empress Annabeth, but I think you will be glad to hear this: Percy is back."