Chapter 3

Lightspark padded to the MeetingBoulder, she watched Sunstar balance on it. Her orange tail flicking from side to side, Brightpaw eyes were bright, but the young apprentice kept quiet.

"Alright CloudClan, let us leave for the Gathering!" yowled Sunstar, she hopped down the rock steadily.

Lilyheart blinked. "Do you think she's going to talk about SlopeClan in our territory?" asked Lilyheart. Lightspark shrugged, she just wanted to see Quillflight.

The cats reached the river, Lilyheart hopped onto the bark, balancing neatly on it. Lightspark scrambled on top as well, her ears flattened as she thought of sinking into the black churning water. She shivered, if she did fall into it, it would take longer for her thick coat to dry.

Brightpaw staggered onto the stripped bark, Lightspark could see her fur pricked up with worry. Lightspark watched her in the distance, Lightspark scrambled over to her. She helped her a bit by grabbing her by her scruff and dragging her a bit more to the shore.

"Thanks, Lightspark," mewed Brightpaw. "I think I can do it next time!"

Lightspark blinked with doubt, but she shrugged. They picked their way to the brambl-

es where the clearing of the Gathering was. The night was chilly—newleaf would soon be near, Lightspark thought. The smell of all the Clan cats pricked Lightspark's fur. BreezeClan and CliffClan were not here yet.

Lightspark glanced back at Brightpaw, who huddled close to her mother. Lightspark hoped Quillflight was here, she quickly detected his heathery scent after she had wandered in the group of cats. Quillflight spoke to a light brown tom, with a smell of wind in him. CliffClan had come.

"Quillflight!" Lightspark yowled. Quillflight spun around to face Lightspark, his fur on end.

"Great StarClan, Lightspark! Don't scare me like that!"

Lightspark purred with amusement, her amber eyes soft. "I heard you have a appren-

tice! That's great!" he meowed. "Which one is she?"

Lightspark flicked her tail to the tiny brown and white kit who was following Icefrost. "She listens well and isn't a pain in the tail." she told him. "She's a fine apprentice, and learns quickly. And she'll be a great fighter! That is for sure!"

Quillflight snorted. "I'd like to see her try to fight the mighty warrior: Quillflight!" his paw went up in the air.

As if! Lightspark nipped him. "I'd like to see you try and fight her!"

The light brown tom that sat beside them stood up. "I'm going." he meowed.

Quillflight fixed his gaze on him. "Okay, Barkfur."

Barkfur padded away, his sleek fur glowing in the moonlight.

"Where is Stonestar?" asked Lightspark, she kept an eye out for him. As well as Pine-

frost, her brother didn't seem to come today.

"He's dead." Quillflight meowed simply. "Thunderheart is our new deputy." Quillflight snorted. "He's so bossy! And always picks on me! Don't forget he smells like crow-food!"

"How dare you say that about your own deputy."

"Yeah the worst deputy." growled Quillflight. His orange eyes glanced sharply at the

gray tabby deputy.

Right now Thunderheart was padding through the groups of cats. Nodding briskly to everyone, when Thunderheart had reached Quillflight, his nose wrinkled. "Better get the stink of CloudClan out of your fur when you get back," he snarled.