Chapter 7

Lightspark woke with a start. She almost bumped into Bramblenose, who was lapping his fur. It had been a quarter moon from the fox attack. "Careful there!" he spat. Bramblenose's blue eyes burned with ferocity. Lightspark padded out, her tail between her legs.

Talon, Claw, Bingo, and Dove were all sitting speaking to each other in low voices. Wh-

en they finished speaking, Lightspark padded over to Bingo.

"What's happening?" she demanded.

"Er—we're thinking about heading back home." Bingo mewed.

"What!" Lightspark exclaimed. "You can't leave now."

Bingo's eyes grew wide, her fur bristled. "Lightspark you can't force us to stay like we're prisoners." she hissed. "We think it's time we leave."

"Fine." Lightspark growled. "Do what you want."

Lightspark did not know why she was so disappointed. She and Bingo grew to be close friends and it was hard to see her disappear. Lightspark wished that she could swallow the troubles away like a piece of prey stuck in her throat. Is this how Mistleheart felt?

Out of the corner of her eyes, Lightspark saw Bingo speaking to Claw. She hoped Bingo was not talking about the quarrel they had. She turned to speak to Lilyheart who was a few tail-lengths away from her, but immediately Riversplash came.

"Lilyheart!" Riversplash meowed, he halted in front of her.

Lilyheart blinked fondly at him. "Er—hi."

"Do you want to hunt with me?" asked Riversplash.

"Sure."

Frustrated, Lightspark padded away. It seemed as if all the cats were busy today. "Light-

spark!" someone called, Lightspark whipped around to face Duskfall. Duskfall's tail was curled on his paws; his blue eyes were bright. Lightspark padded to him. "Want to hunt?"

"Okay." Lightspark mewed stubbornly. Her paws itched to walk anyways. Quickly, Duskfall bounded onto his paws flicking Lightspark's ear with his tail tip quickly. Lightspark blinked, she followed Duskfall out of camp as they scrambled down the snow-covered slope.

The two cats reached the river. Duskfall halted. Lightspark almost bumped into him, h-

er paws clumsy with sleep. Duskfall's eyes were filled with warmth and care for her, Lightspark felt like a kit being cuddled by her mother. Does Duskfall love me?

Immediately Lightspark thought of Joysong. The brown tabby tom that loved Foxclaw. But when Foxclaw rejected him, he had turned crazy with anger and had killed Hopkit, one of Lightspark's siblings. Mistleheart had killed Joysong when she had the chance and

he was never heard of. Will Duskfall turn like that if I reject him? Lightspark shivered. Duskfall was a noble cat to CloudClan, and it would be unlikely that he would turn as crazy as Joysong. But yet again; cats thought Joysong was loyal.

Lightspark shook her head. Once again, her thoughts were piling up.

"Lightspark! Have you fallen asleep on your paws?" Duskfall joked.

"Er—of course not!" Lightspark mewed hastily. "Now; let's get this over with."

When they reached camp. Lightspark looked quickly for Lilyheart and was disappoint-

ed when she saw her sharing tongues with Riversplash. Frustration welled inside Lightspark. Bingo was grooming her short black fur in the distance. After their quarrel, she probably would not like to see her.