Chapter 10

"When are you leaving?" Lightspark asked Bingo through a full mouth of prey.

Bingo drew her tongue over her mouth. "Soon," She replied. "Possibly in a quarter moo-

n." Bingo blinked at Lightspark. "Are you sure you want to leave the Clans?"

"StarClan wants me to leave the Clans."

"Why do you depend on StarClan for everything?" Bingo muttered.

If we didn't the Clans would fall apart! Lightspark wanted to hiss back.

"You might as well tell Sunstar," Bingo meowed, she wove her tail to the leader.

Lightspark nodded. Her heart lurched as she thought of watching her Clanmates look at her sadly. Oh Brightpaw! What about Brightpaw? The young apprentice would be devastated!

She glanced at Bingo. The black she-cat shrugged. Lightspark took one last gulp of her vole. She gazed around camp. Lilyheart did not have an apprentice, but she would deliver kits soon. Perhaps Smokeleg? He was a good teacher and a good friend of Lightspark. Yes, Smokeleg is perfect!

Leaping to her paws, Lightspark began to race over to Smokeleg who was padding to the warriors' den. Bingo stood up and shot in front of her.

"It's late." Bingo mewed curtly. "It's best you tell him tomorrow."

Lightspark was surprised to hear her tone. She didn't have control of her! But yet she nodded. Lightspark padded to the warriors' den, aware of Bingo eyeing her. She glanced at her once more, showing that she was going to sleep.

She curled inside on her bedding. Wrapping her thick-furred tail on her nose. Light-

spark glanced sideways outside the den, the moon glowed harshly outside sending pale light throughout camp. Two round eyes glowed inside the medicine cats' den, they were green. Lightspark sighed. She longed to know how Fernleaf was. I can't do that if I'm not here. Can't I? Lightspark took a deep breath.

Closing her eyes tightly she nodded off into sleep.

Lightspark peered through Sunstar's den. The leader was sitting up giving herself a nice groom. Sunstar looked up as Lightspark crawled in, her blue eyes full of concern.

"Hello, Lightspark," She meowed.

Lightspark dipped her head respectfully at the leader. "Sunstar this might come as a shock, but, I'm thinking—no leaving the Clans to live beyond them." She dared not to mention Quillflight yet.

Sunstar was shocked. But Lightspark was not surprised. Sunstar calmed herself down, and looked blankly at Lightspark. "Very well, Lightspark. I cannot judge your decision. I noticed how you have been feeling out lately, hm?"

"Yes," Lightspark mewed.

"I will tell the Clan." Sunstar meowed. "Will you be traveling with the rogues?"

Lightspark blinked. "Possibly." She replied. "Quillflight is coming as well." She hesitated for a moment before she added: "I want Smokeleg to mentor Brightpaw."

Sunstar looked dazed for a moment. As if she didn't know who Brightpaw was. "You chose the right cat." The leader purred. "Lightspark, I know this is not the right time. But I wanted to tell you. I told Goldentail this and she was shocked."

"What is it?" Prompted Lightspark.

"The day—the day when SlopeClan attacked I lost a life. I noticed something—I am in my last life." Lightspark's eyes stretched wide. "I didn't want the Clan to panic . . ."

Lightspark brushed her muzzle on the leader's shoulder. She could hardly imagine that they were kin. "It's fine," She purred.

Padding away, Lightspark scrambled down the slope. Lilyheart was sitting in the center of camp, expecting a meeting. To her surprise, Lightspark saw concern in Lilyheart's eyes. Had she heard the conversation? Then, Lightspark noticed that she was not worried about her, but herself.

"What's wrong?" Asked Lightspark.

"Oh nothing," Lilyheart sighed. "Just the kits."

Lightspark curled her tail on Lilyheart's shoulder. She wished she could relate to her. Will I have kits with Quillflight?

"They'll be fine," Lightspark purred.

Lilyheart still seemed uncertain. Lightspark looked sadly at the ground, she wouldn't be there in time to see Lilyheart's kits. Sunstar had appeared from her den, the blue eyes of the leader glowed in the sunlight and her ginger fur looked like flame. The leader called the cats over. Lightspark took a deep breath. Mosspelt scrambled up the rocky slope, sending pebbles and rocks falling down, Mosspelt gingerly sat down on a rock lower than Sunstar.

Riversplash eyed Lightspark. Lightspark felt a shiver down her pelt. Why was he so overprotective of Lilyheart? Lightspark curled her lips back and focused on Sunstar.

"Lightspark has chosen to leave her Clan!" Sunstar yowled, her voice cracking.

To her surprise, Crookednose leaped to his paws. "Traitor!" He hissed. The old tom unsheathed his claws, at first, Lightspark thought he would lunge at her with out-stretched claws, but he ended up sitting down and digging them to the snow-covered floor.

"She is no traitor." Sunstar meowed firmly. "These days she has found it hard to fit in t-

he Clans. She will travel with a SlopeClan cat I believe, as well as the rogues."

Crookednose's fur bristled, Bumbletail soothed the tom with strokes of her tongue. Ev-

en Goldentail seemed angry. She lashed her tail and glanced at Sunstar.

"And you won't stop her?" She spat. "She's the last thing I have of Foxclaw!"

Sunstar curled her lips back. "You have Pinefrost. And you see him at Gatherings."

Goldentail buckled to the ground. Sadness in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Foxclaw." She whispered.

Lilyhert pressed herself against her. Sunstar went on: "In a few days she'll leave. Do the most to spend time with her. Clan dismissed." Sunstar turned away and disappeared through her den.

Quickly after Sunstar had dismissed the Clan Lilyheart and Goldentail raced to her. Goldentail gave Lightspark rapid licks of her tongue and Lilyheart spoke in a low tone. Lightspark fluffed her tail out, a bit embarrassed.

"You can't leave!" Lilyheart yowled. "What about my kits? I wanted you to be there so you can meet them!"

"You can do fine," Lightspark promised. "If I do come back, I'll keep an eye out."

Goldentail's eyes stretched wide. "If you do?" She hissed. "Oh Foxclaw I'm so sorry!"

Lightspark stepped back. "I'm going to get rest," she murmured.