Chapter 18

"There!"

Quillflight shot into some gorse bushes and scrambled out immediately. Lightspark w-

atched as thorns snagged his pelt. Quillflight let out a yelp and fell backwards, he thrashed on the floor for a few heartbeats and jumped onto his paws, his fur fluffed out.

"Scared of thorns?" She taunted.

Quillflight leaped to his feet. "Of course not!" he hissed.

Lightspark let out a low raspy purr. She could feel her kits fidgeting inside her. Quillfli-

ght looked at her stomach. "I'll be the best father ever," He promised.

"I know you will." Lightspark responded with a glint of amusement in her eyes.

She gazed at the forest and hill tops. Her jaws gaped to taste the familiar once unfamiliar place. The both of them raced down the hill, there was the scent of rabbit in the air that made Lightspark hungry.

"Wait!" She mewed.

Lightspark raced through the canopy of trees. She slithered close to the huge roots of them. She crawled closer, feeling dead leaves brush her belly fur. Her jaws gaped to taste the delicious aroma of the rabbit. Her fur twitched.

The rabbit stopped gnawing a grass stalk it had and looked up. Its black eyes searched the place. Lightspark slid forward, her paws hardly touching the ground beneath her. Lightspark's paws twitched to leap on the rabbit and kill it, but she had to wait for the right moment.

The rabbit suddenly became aware of Lightspark and ran the opposite way of her. Ligh-

t spark shot forward, she skidded on loose leaves, lagging behind because of her swollen belly. Still, she managed to chase the rabbit, knowing she was slower. Lightspark turned the other way, leaving the rabbit to race to another direction. Lightspark leaped on the branch near to it. She hopped down onto the rabbit and sent a swift bite through its spine.

Her mouth watered and her eyes glittered with satisfaction.

"Careful!" Quillflight mewed, his voice light and gentle. "Your kits, remember?"

Lightspark huffed, just because she was expecting kits didn't mean she couldn't hunt surely?

"I'll be fine."

Lightspark dragged the rabbit to the bramble bush, she stepped on the mushy dirt un-

der. It felt wetter than usual, she watched as the lake water rose through the brambles. Lightspark let out a hiss, stepping backwards.

"What's wrong?—" Quillflight grunted. His orange gaze fixed on the floor.

Lightspark padded out, licking her dirt-covered paws.

"Uh oh! This isn't good!" Quillflight chuckled.

Lightspark twitched her ears. "We need a better home."

"I've seen a cave not far off." Quillflight remarked, "it could do us good."

"Show me," Lightspark mewed.

She followed Quillflight out the bush. They trekked around the lake until they found a cave with rock hangings surrounding it. Lightspark shook the dew out of her fur, she glanced at Quillflight. Quillflight shrugged.

Lightspark continued padding through the cave until she found a wall.

"It reeks of badger here!" she snorted.

"It's an old scent," Quillflight murmured, "whoever lived here is gone now."

The floor was cold underneath her, she suppressed a shiver. "I'll collect moss," Quillflig-

t offered gently.

"Sure. I'll be by the lake!" she mewed, racing off.

Lightspark knew her kits were coming soon. Probably less than a day. She remembered

climbing up the red stone fence to meet Creampaw.

"Creampaw!" Lightspark hissed quietly to the glass entrance.

A delighted mew rose from inside and Creampaw had slid out from her flap. "Oh Light-

spark!" the cream-colored she meowed.

"I think my kits will come any day now," Lightspark meowed.

"Oh I see now." Creampaw eyes glinted. "I'll come tomorrow."

Lightspark had nodded and she trotted off back out the fence. Lightspark now lay dro-

wsily with Quillflight, they both shared a rabbit which Quillflight had caught. Lightspark yawned, feeling her kits wriggle inside her. Each day Creampaw visited in case the kits would come, she clearly knew what to do.

"I can't wait," Quillflight meowed. "I want to be a father!"

"Patience." Lightspark murmured, "They're bound to come soon."