Chapter 8

The Gathering was pretty boring. Coralstar reported that there was a lot of fishes, Reds-

tar reported that they had chased off a fox from its burrow, and Stonestar reported that they had found scents of kittypets.

Now the Gathering had ended. Lightspark meowed her good-byes to the cats and Quillflight. Lilyheart was trotting impatiently outside the entrance of the Pine Trees. "Come on." she urged Lightspark, Lightspark was surprised that the calm silver tabby was so cranky.

Lightspark whipped around to find Sunstar, when she had she mewed: "We're going to hunt for a bit."

The Clan leader gave them a stern look—then nodded. Quickly, she and Lilyheart took off. They crossed the river and then headed to the Thunderpath. The Thunderpath glittered in the night, Lightspark fixed her gaze onto the path.

"Lightspark!"

Lightspark trotted over to where the start of the path was. Lilyheart gazed into the pat-

h. Lightspark wondered what she was looking at, then, Lightspark saw it.

Standing on the path was a faint outline of a cat. It was black with white and ginger sp-

lotches, Lightspark could not believe it. What she was looking at was Mistleheart, Mistleheart raced over to her but stopped abruptly once she reached the trees.

Lilyheart padded to Mistleheart, her forest green eyes sad. Lightspark rushed to her sister, the faint colors of fur glowing in the moonlight.

"Oh Mistleheart!" Lightspark meowed, she reached in to touch noses with her but Mi-

stleheart shot back.

"You didn't come back." she sighed. "What do I expect? You didn't know I was here."

Lightspark flicked her tail. "I missed you."

"I as well." Mistleheart meowed. "I stayed here for many moons, hearing monsters.

It was terrible, Lightspark! Why didn't StarClan take me in?" Lightspark saw the sadness that glowed in her eyes.

"I don't know." she murmured. "But—I have something to tell you."

Lilyheart trotted to them, her gaze blank. "I'll let you speak in private."

She turned away and disappeared through the brambles. Lightspark saw the sadness in Lilyheart's face like Mistleheart, why was she so gloomily? Perhaps she was jealous that she could not speak to her friend yet. But Lightspark was her sister! What did Lilyheart expect?

"Mistleheart, I'm thinking about leaving the Clans," she meowed sadly.

Mistleheart tail stroked her flank, Lightspark noticed that she could not feel her sister. Yet she imagined she could.

"Do what you wish." Mistleheart purred.

"But—I thought you wouldn't like it." she gasped, "Like—like with Pinefrost."

Mistleheart stepped back. "I noticed I was wrong. Do what you wish in Lightspark." she hesitated. "I know I'm not an official StarClan cat, but I wish to give you a prophecy."

Lightspark sat down, curling her tail over her paws. She listened to her sister: "'Follow yourself, even when you don't know where to go.'" Mistleheart gasped, glancing around. "The sun is rising. Remember Lightspark." Lightspark recited the prophecy she made up: Follow yourself, even when you don't know where to go.

Once the sun had risen, Mistleheart had faded. Lightspark drank what was left of her sweet scent, yet she reminded herself she had been thinking to do. Would she really leave her Clan to be with Quillflight?