Explaining Everything

Michael's Pov

"Hey, somebody might should go check on Jeremy. He's been in the bathroom for a while now," Alex pointed out.

I sighed and stood up.

"I guess I'll do it then."

I slowly pushed my chair back in its place and walked over to the bathroom door. I was just reaching my hand up to knock when I heard talking. Why would Jeremy be talking to himself in the bathroom?

I carefully pressed my ear to the door and held a hand to my mouth to silence my breathing.

"I-I thought I got rid of you!" I heard him exclaim from behind the door.

Okay, now I was even more confused than before.

He got more quiet after that, and now he seemed to be whispering to himself. I couldn't even understand what he was saying anymore.

So I reached up and gently knocked twice on the wooden door. Everything inside of the bathroom went silent. Then, after a moment of that silence, Jeremy opened the door.

I almost gasped. His face was completely pale, and he looked like he could collapse any minute now. I wasted no time grabbing his arm and walking him to the couch. We both sat down, and I turned to look my best friend in the eyes only to find him staring straight down at the floor.

"Jeremy," I said, placing a hand on his shoulder, "What happened?"

He finally met my gaze.

After opening and closing his mouth for a moment like a fish, he managed to whisper, " He's back, Michael."

I was getting confused.

I tightened my grip on his shoulder and asked, "Who's back?"

"The squip."

Now, I really did gasp.

"Seriously? But how?"

"I don't know," he muttered, looking down again.

"What's going on?" Alex suddenly spoke up.

Jeremy and exchanged a single glance and an entire conversation seemed to pass between us. He nodded, giving me permission to tell them everything.

I motioned for our two friends to take a seat, but started to explain.

I told them about how Jeremy was obsessed with a girl in his classes, so he took this pill from Rich that basically was like a person who only he could see and hear that told what to do to be popular and stuff like that called a squip.

"Wait, wait. Wait," John interrupted.

"So you're telling me that this squip thing is back and talking to Jeremy again?"

Jeremy nodded in confirmation.

"Well, damn," Alexander said with a sigh.

"What are we gonna do?" John asked us.

I thought for a minute before it hit me.

"Jeremy," I said, looking back at him, "I think you need to go ask Rich. If anyone should know, it would be him."