Chapter 37: Magic

They held each other for a long moment

They held each other for a long moment. Though he was weak, Michael's arms never formed tighter. He finally loosened his grip when Nicole pulled away with the slightest grin and a spark in her eyes.

Nicole: I have something for you--

Michael: For me!?

By the time he finished the question, Nicole was already on her feet and down the hall. By the time he considered getting up to follow her, she was back. Fidgeting with the wrapping as she stood at his feet, Michael admired her in tight black shorts like a cyclist and a faded, baggy orange t-shirt, her favorite for wearing around the house. It was only now he noticed that she was wearing his socks. He smiled as she sat close to him and offered the gift. It was small, barely a quarter the size of Michael's palm wrapped neatly in bright green tissue paper.

Nicole: It's not much-- I know you don't even celebrate Christmas, but I just saw this when I was out and it made me think of you.

He looked up at her again taking her cheek in his hand. Her skin was oily and hair was twisted into a knotted bun. She would be absolutely horrified if anyone else saw her this way. But with Michael, she was safe to be vulnerable.

Nicole: Michael... Are you going to open it, or just stare at me?

Michael: Can't I do both?

He watched her blush, then finally looked back to his hand. With a few gentle pulls, he revealed a little metal keyring attached to the shape of his favorite Disney fairy.

Nicole: It's for your key-- So you don't lose it... I thought you could use a little Tinker Bell magic to protect you on all your adventures.

He couldn't help but giggle at her proud smile. She always gave the most thoughtful gifts.

Michael: Nicole, this is so lovely... Thank you!

He pulled her close to kiss her cheek. Then finally her lips. It felt like the first time as Michael approached tenderly. Like holding a baby deer, he was careful not to scare her off. But Nicole responded nicely, lingering to breathe him in and hold his chin in return. Instantly, Michael felt the temptation to peel off her clothes, aching to feel that closeness and carnal bond with her again. She had the power to make him feel good in a way no one else could. But the throbbing in his abdomen was a steady reminder of yesterday, and the real conversation he wasn't ready for. There's no way Nicole would ignore the fist-shaped swelling on his body.

Michael: I um... I actually have something for you too--

Nicole: Oh yeah?

Her mischievous grin quickly faded to curiosity as Michael rose to his feet and moved to the front door, picking up the bag he must've been holding behind his back when he entered. It was pink and white, overflowing with tissue paper.

Michael: Come here.

They stood toe to toe.

Michael: ... I just-- I hope you like it...