Part 24 *The past is in the past*

Sorry its been so long

Katie (15 years old) 

I decided to run away on my birthday. It was the most recent care home I had been placed in and it smelt like poo and cat urine. My foster parents didn't really care about us but the other kids were bigger than me and I was often pushed around and called names. I was getting taller and definately looked older than 14. But the day I turened 14 I decided it was time to go. I could do this on my own. I didn't need anyone else, I mean, I had practically got through my life on my own anyway and could my life get any worse. 

I went to my room and got out a duffell bag and started to fold y clothes and put them in. I grabbed some soap and a toothbrush from the bathroom and took the photo frames off my bed. One picture was of me and Marrissa. Both of us were smiling near the swing set. It was a picture taken by the social worker who wanted to advertise the care home. I asked for a copy of the picture before I left. The other picture was of my mother holding me as a baby. I kept that picture turned away from the bed to avoid the nightmares. The back of the photo frame had some cash hidden in it. It was enough to last me for a while. I hoped. 

I zipped the bag shut and looked out of the window. My foster parents weren'y hope because they had 'popped out to the shops' again but the real danger was one of the other kids seeing me. I opened the window and started to climb out when I felt a cold large hand on my shoulder. I saw one of the lder kids standing behind me who looked too old to be in foster care. 

"Where are you going?" He asked. I didn't reply. "I asked you a question" 

I looked at him. This was the same guy who had locked me in the bathroom and had put toothpaste over every single one of my meals for the first week that I was here. I looked to my side and found the knob of one of the drawers of my dresser was sitting on the table with a giant nail sticking out of it. Would I do it? Would I be quick enough? Would it be enough to stop him? 

I grabbed the knob quickly and jabbed it straight into his hand that was holding my shoulder. He yelled at the top of his voice. I knew that would grab someones attention so I dropped the knob and I jumped out of the window and ran as fast as I could. My new body shape was slowing me down, how are breasts supposed to be helpful? I started to run towards the bus stop and I got on the fist stop there was. I paid the driver who was looking at me funny and then I went to sit down on the closest seat there was. 

A man sitting behind me started to sing a song I didn't recognise but I tried to ignore him. 

"Hey, where you off too?" He asked. 

I ignored hi and changed seats. I saw him shrug and get off at the next stop. I waited another 10 stops before I got off to be on the safe side but when I got off I had no idea where I was. I started to walk to no where in particular. I would need to find somewhere to stay for tonight. I walked towards a building that had the word vacancies lighting up and flashing. I walked towards the place, my heart banging against my chest. I walked towards the desk at the front. The hotel itself looked old and very dusty. There were cobwebs in the corners of the room and the place smelt like damp. 

"E-Excuse me" I asked, my voice as shaky as the rest of my body. "H-How much for a room for one night?" 

The man had a scar on his forehead and was biting a toothpick at the side of his mouth. "How old are you?" 

"18." I lied. 

The man didn't look convinced at all. He looked at me for a while again "It's £75" 

I looked in my bag. I had just enough for one night. I handed the man the money and he gave me a key. I took the key and walked towards the room that was covered in dust and cobwebs. But at least it was indoors and I was slightly safer here than I was out side. I lay on the dirty bed and my eyes started to close and before I knew it I was in a deep sleep.