Chapter 16| New

Justin looked up at me and smiled, "Allez-vous être ma petite amie?"

I squinted my eyes, feeling completely puzzled. "What?" I giggled nervously.

He chuckled and reached across the table to grab my hands in his, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

I couldn't help my mouth from falling open. That was something that I really didn't expect Justin to ask, especially since we already talked about labels and all.

"You don't have to answer now," he quickly added and I'm sure that it's because he saw my confused facial expression.

"Sorry," I quickly shook my head. "I'm just surprised."

"I know before I said that I didn't like to label things, but I realized over the past few months that I-I want to be with you in every way possible. I feel like I'm taking you for granted by continuing to let time pass by and not making things official."

"Justin," I pushed my bottom lip out.

"I really want you to be my girlfriend, Kalel."

"Are you sure?" I giggled, rubbing my thumb against his.

"I have never been more sure than anything in my life. I want you now, tomorrow, the next day, a week from now, a month from now, a year from now...I could go on and on. We may be too young for all of this, but I will always want it to be you who I do everything with."

I blinked my eyes away in order to prevent the tears from falling out. It was the most heartfelt thing he had ever expressed to me and I was really taken by surprise. Being with him didn't include deep talks or showing emotion and I never expected it to be, so I really appreciated this. "Yes."

"Y-Yes? What?" he chuckled lightly, removing his hand from mine and scratching the back of his neck.

"Yes, I would love to be your girlfriend," I cracked the biggest smile. Just calling myself his girlfriend was going to be so different, but a good different.

"You don't understand how happy that makes me," he mirrored me. I promise that I'm going to do whatever I have to in order to protect you," his tongue quickly peaked between his lips. "even if I have to kill someone."

"Calm down," I laughed.

"Now we can kiss all the time."

"Don't we already do that?"

"Well yeah, but when we go back to school I can show you off to everyone," he smirked.

"I don't really want to have our relationship on full display," I said and pulled my lips into my mouth, not sure of how he would react.

"Oh yeah, I didn't mean like that. I just want to hold hands and kiss occasionally or whatever, carry your books and shit, walk you to class..."

"I'd like that," I giggled softly.

"I really just want you to be comfortable and happy, even though I know everything that's happened since you've met me has been pretty crazy."

"You can say that again," I joked, staring into his eyes. Even in the dim light they looked beautiful. "Thank you."

He placed his hand back on top of mine, "For what?"

"Everything," I grinned. "You've really taught me a lot already and I appreciate you for letting me in."

"Oh," he smiled. "Well I couldn't really help any of it. Despite being hella afraid as soon as I started to catch feelings, you quickly became my safe zone. I don't know how you did it, but I was quick to feel comfortable," he explained. "I know I can be an asshole sometimes and there really isn't an excuse for it, although I still blame someone," he trailed off. "I've really been trying to be the guy you deserve."