Fix You (DubChaeng)

A special gift for our Dahyunie.

Originally posted on AO3 last 28th of May 2020

-------

Dahyun loves kids. She loves to be surrounded by kids and her bright personality can prove that. She loves them even if they cry, even if they are noisy, even if they are naughty, even they are messy and has lots of curiosity. She had dreamt of being a teacher ever since she was a child, mainly because she likes to teach her younger brother back then. She also likes it when she shares some information to other people that made them amused to her because of her knowledge. She's a nice person who just wants to help kids grow up with right manners and right conduct, and to teach them to enjoy life while learning.

Thankfully, kids love her, too. She loves her because of her white, soft skin, because of her kindness, because of her little hands, because of her cute giggle, because of her small, calming voice, because she gives chocolate treats every after class, because she tell stories in the cutest way while describing characters, because she can make them calm down right away, because she's easy to respond in any problem they have in class.

Kim Dahyun is a kindergarten teacher and it is a dream come true for her and a win-win situation. She loves kids and wants to teach so she thinks she just won in life, except she still did not. She's enjoying her job, sure. She always comes to school happy, always ready to teach her kids new things and excited to see them for yet another day. She's already supporting her family enough for them to have a stable life, even if she already moved out of their house. She can already have whatever she wants in her life, but she thinks there's still missing in her life.

"Miss Dubu, are you okay?"

Hwa Young asked her in their lunch break right after the school bell rang. The girl's voice reflects sincerity and a little bit of sadness so she gave her an extra candy.

"I am. Thank you. Go eat your lunch with your friends, Hwa Young-ah"

The girl hugged her before exiting the classroom. Dahyun smiled at the door and then spaced out for a while. She really doesn't know what's wrong with her, but she's thankful that she got the kids to distract her from any negative thoughts. It's not that she takes advantage of her job as an escape from reality, because apparently it's the reality, it's just that there's something bothering her that she can't determine yet. Dahyun feels empty all of a sudden, she feels sad and lonely and wants to cry in the middle of the day at her work in a kindergarten. She doesn't want this kind of feeling, but remembering how Hwa Young check on her after class makes her heart melt and wants to cry more.

The class then continued and she tried to regain her cheerfulness and energy to have some art appreciation for their next activity. She taught the kids the primary colors and then let them color some fruits that they also differentiate from one another. The class ended longer than expected and maybe that's the longest day for Dahyun in her whole life. She really feels heavy that day. She then went home feeling empty and slept right away, not minding to eat dinner and the missed calls from her parents and her brother. That mood went on for a week and her workmates started to get worried for her, but she just keeps on shrugging them off and focused on teaching her kids instead. She's not totally focused, though. She let pencils fell on the floor, let the kids fight and scream at each other, let the colors spilled on her table, and let chaotic moments happen in the classroom. She just snapped back out of reality when Shin, one of her quiet students, approached her crying and said, "Please come back, Ms. Dubu" that made her cry and hug the boy.