Chapter 5 ~ The Poor Navigational Skills of Minnie Mouse and a Teddy Bear.

'Remind me again why I have to go.'

Asher rolls his eyes for what must be the hundredth time this afternoon, undoubtedly a record for him. Emilio however is lounging on the sofa, playing around with the TV remote, trying to find some background noise so he can focus on the paperwork on his lap.

Asher is winding his coat around his shoulders, his school uniform folded neatly on the island in the middle of our kitchen. His new attire isn't that much different from usual, he still wears smart trousers, though these are blue, and he has on a white shirt underneath his grey coat. He topped it all off with brown boots that he said we would need for where we were going.

Apparently it was the same reason Emilio had forced me to wear my black boots, with my navy winter coat that matches my big brown tartan scarf and finally compromised by agreeing to my usual black jeans. It looks as if we've purposely coordinated outfits and I despise it. If it were up to me, I'd be in my pyjamas watching the new episodes of Grey's Anatomy and eating whatever junk food Emilio has stocked in the cupboards.

Instead, Emilio is insisting that Asher and I bond, and apparently we can't do this in the comforts of our own apartment. No, apparently the only way for Asher and I to become best friends forever, is to attend a winter wonderland maze.

Emilio found out online last night that everyone at Thorne was going besides me. So he wonderfully and generously signed me up when he was procrastinating paperwork.

Not only is that horrifying enough on it's own, but because Asher wanted me to bond with some of the senior class who are all attending, he was making us go with his minions, Cade, Phineas and Lennox, much to everyone's disdain and protests. He said they've been planning this trip for months, but I wouldn't put it past him to have done it just to spite me.

'Can't you come Leo?' I whine, since no one acknowledged my first complaint.

'You know I can't.' He says, hardly even looking up, 'I have too much to do, and if I come too, you'd have to take two cars. Also, this is the first time in years you'll get to do something fun without me.'

'Who says it's going to be fun?' I grumble.

Asher puts a hand on my shoulder and steers me towards the door. I hold out my arms like a zombie towards Emilio, hoping he'll crack a smile and tell me he's joking and let me stay home.

Before I reach the door, I bend down and scoop Neighbour into my arms, holding him tightly, 'I have a hostage, and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to stay home!'

'Neighbour!' Emilio coos from the sofa and the cat jumps from my arms and goes to settle on Emilio's lap, who instantly begins to tickle under his chin.

'Traitor,' I hiss at the cat, 'When I get home, you're being tried for treason.'

'Don't forget gloves!' Emilio shouts after us and I kick the wall irritated, as Asher locks the door behind us.

'I at least call shotgun.' I say to Asher's back as he jogs down the stairs, too stupidly punctual. 'Also, last night, I swear we agreed we didn't even need to talk and now we're taking princess outings together? I said ignore me, not annoy me.'

'Could you stop complaining?' He remarks as he unlocks his car and climbs into the driver's seat, 'The boys and me and have had this trip planned for ages, there's going to be almost the entire sixth year there.'

'The boys and I.' I correct and he glares at me while reversing.

'Zia, please just try to have fun tonight, the boys promised to be on their best behaviour.' Asher says, speeding away towards the fancier parts of London.