Chapter 7 ~ I Didn't Realise There was a Hierarchy to the Terrorist List.

'Zia, you okay?' Asher asks as we leave his car outside Thorne Academy.

'Yeah, sorry. Just tired.' I excuse myself, even though the nerves in my stomach have nothing to do with how much sleep I had last night.

Asher locks his car behind us and guides me, hand on my back, towards the gates, knowing the pressure on my spine has been bugging me ever since he woke us up this morning.

'Did I keep you awake last night?' He asks, concerned.

Suddenly, there's a squeal from behind us. Startled, Asher drops his takeout coffee cup and spins around to see a fifth year staring at us with a shocked look on her face. Behind her are three other fifth years, all with their mouths open.

'What is the matter with you?' I seethe, too tired to deal with their attitude this morning.

Or any morning really.

'We knew it!' She says, in a pitch only dogs and babies will be able to comprehend, 'We knew you were together!'

'We're not together.'

Asher and I snap at the same time, both still feeling the awkwardness from having shared a bed the previous night. I look in his direction angrily, 'You should be so lucky.'

'I don't think that's helping.' Asher glares, gesturing to the girls who have started giggling again, 'Why would you think we're together? I'm doing it for extra credit.'

'Oh sure,' The girl rolls her eyes, 'You've only got to get her to attend classes. First you give her a lift to school in your brand new fancy car, and then you bring her to the winter-wonderland-sixth-year-get-together.' She lists.

'You actually called it that?' I ask.

'Everyone does, there was a Facebook group about it.' The girls says as if I'd just admitted I didn't know who Father Christmas was. 'Then you're both mysteriously off school yesterday, and you've just asked her if you kept her up during the night, so you're obviously sleeping together at least.'

'We're obviously sleeping together, I'm surprised it took you so long to figure it out. Now excuse me, I have to go make a scene.' I smile, gripping Asher tightly into a side hug before turning and stomping away from them, leaving Asher to defend us both for me.

Or should be doing. Instead, he's copied the fast pace of my footsteps and is following me into school.

'People are going to talk, Z.' He says, trying to get me to slow down.

'Let them talk, this is my last day at Thorne, don't forget.' I point out.

Asher stops suddenly behind me, presumably only just realising this. For a second, it seems like he looks almost sad, but then he shakes it away, yawning and running a hand through his messy hair.

'I'll see you at lunch?' He asks as the bell rings.

'Sure.' I smile.

He sets off walking towards the science block and I turn on my heel to walk the other way when Asher calls my fake name. I curse and turn around, an innocent look on my face that I'm hoping he won't notice.

'Where are you going? You've got philosophy.' He asks, confused.

'I just have to go and do something.' I lie.

His eyes narrow as if he can sense the deviance in me from half a corridor away, 'Do what?'

'Jesus I need to pee, is that okay with you? You spent so long in the bathroom this morning fixing up your hair that I didn't have time.' I say, hoping my anger will be enough to get him to stop questioning me, 'Is that alright or do you want to follow me into the cubicle too?'