(23) Breakdown

A/N: Hey guys! So sorry it too me kind of a while to update I honestly tried to avoid writing this chapter for the first few days because it even made me mad to know what was happening but hopefully you enjoy it anyway.

Amelia ran into the hospital and quickly got knowledge as to where Alec's mom was by saying she was family. She ran into the waiting room and saw Alec pacing and looking so furious.

"Alec..." she said quietly.

His head snapped to her as if he couldn't believe she was there.

"Amelia." he replied with a hoarse voice.

It wasn't obvious but she knew Alec and he had been crying about his mom before she came. She couldn't judge him and whatever it was it must be bad if he was crying. She quickly walked up to him and hugged him really right. He put his arms around her and they rocked back and forth for a few minutes.

Finally after they separated she cupped his cheek with her hand and looked at him. He was the perfect picture of a hurt, broken, and most of all afraid boy. He was so grown yet he looked so frightened and as if he would break any second. Amelia bit her lip to stop the tears of pain for him flowing.

"Let's go sit down and wait alright? That's the best we can do right now, and I promise I'll be here for you." she whispered to him.

He nodded and they sat down on the chair and waited for news.

Eventually a doctor came out and called Alec's name. They both stood up and Amelia recognized the doctors facial expression. She had seen this expression on so many people at her parents funeral when they looked at her. It was pity. The doctor wouldn't have much good news and Amelia knew that.

The doctor cleared his throat and said, " I have both good and bad news."

He looked at both of their facial expressions and they motioned for him to go on.

"We stabilized her so she's breathing and her heart is alright but, your mother...She's in a coma." he said.

Alec seemed so have frozen next to Amelia. She took a step closer to the doctor and asked, "For how long?"

"We don't know miss, I'm sorry. It's very hard to determine a patients time. She could be asleep only for a day or it could be a year I'm afraid we don't know. Take care." He replied to her and walked off.

Amelia let the information process in her mind and then turned to look at Alec who had dropped into the chair and was staring at the wall with a blank expression. She walked closer to him slowly but he held a hand up as if signaling her to stop and stay where she was.

She swallowed the lump in her throat and whispered quietly, "Alec..."

"I need to be alone." he told her monotonously.

Amelia nodded, "I'll go see if they have anything to eat." she replied and walked out of the waiting room.

As she walked looking for a vending machine or even anything just to take her mind off of what was happening she thought about how different Alec was acting. Yesterday he was so amazing and kind but, now he was so cold. It made her afraid of what was going to happen. She didn't know how much more pain and hurt she could take. It was selfish of her because she knew what he was going through. He didn't know if his mom would make it, but didn't he care about her at all? She finally found a coffee machine and made two cups for her and Alec. She walked back in and as soon as Alec saw her he stood up.

"Let's go for a walk. I think we need some fresh air." he said.

Amelia nodded a bit relieved that he didn't sound as cold and monotonous as he did before.

They walked out of the hospital and started circling the grounds and not speaking at all until finally, Alec broke the silence.

"Amelia, you know how much I care about my mom right?" He said.

"Of course, she the most important person in your life. I'm hate that this is happening." she replied.

He nodded at her reply and continued, "While I was sitting alone I thought about a lot of things. Especially recent events. I thought about the time I met you, when you met my mom, how I saved you multiple times, the pain I went through When I was in the hospital, and I thought about how things were before you came."

She bit her lip but motioned for him to continue.

"I was confused and lost and I was afraid of Marc and for my mom. But nothing bad ever really happened, until you came." He said.

She cut him off, "You're blaming me for all of this?!"

"No-maybe-I don't know Amelia OK?! Before you dropped into my life everything was fine and now I seem to be spending more time either saving you or trying to please you than actually taking care of my mom! And I think that's why this happened. I wasn't even there for her God dammit!" Alec was screaming at this point and Amelia had tears streaming down her face.

"So what are you trying to say?" She whispered.

"I don't think this is working. We're done. I can't focus on some girl while my mom is dying." he said more calmly.

Amelia covered her mouth with her hand to hold the sob in. She just nodded and walked away from him. She quickly got in her car and drove home with tears that wouldn't stop falling. Alec watched her walk away from him again and couldn't help but feel his heart break a little. He wasn't sure if he did what was right but he wanted to focus on his mom. She needed him. He walked back in through the hospital door when Amelia's car was finally out of sight.

Amelia rushed into her home as soon as she stopped the car and ran into her bedroom slamming the door. She slid down the wall and cried uncontrollably. She didn't know why she was crying so hard but for some stupid reason the tears wouldn't stop. She was so mad at Alec and She missed her dad and her mom. She missed them so much. No one was there to comfort her. Her mom couldn't appear at her door and hug her and tell her everything would be alright and her dad couldn't bring some yummy hot chocolate to help her feel better like they usually did when she was little. She cried and she couldn't stop. she was so frustrated that she couldn't stop. She promised herself never to cry again.

Eventually the tears stopped and Amelia crawled onto her bed feeling exhausted. She stared up at the ceiling and thought about everything that happened. She was losing hope so quickly. She twisted and turned on her bed until finally sleep over took her.