Chapter 6

After dropping William off at Medbay, Finn went to his dorm room. He was supposed to go to the Admin room and scan his ID card, but he didn't feel like doing his tasks today. Instead, he needed some time to rest and think.

As he tried to unlock the door, his mind drifted to William. For some reason, Finn loved hanging out with the new astronaut. Unlike some of his friends on the crew, William seemed so open-minded. Just like Finn, he is strong, tough, and charming, all of those traits that are considered "masculine" in society, but that wasn't why he liked him at all. What Finn liked about William the most is that there's something about him that made him feel safe and secure, something that his dad never provided to him and his sister growing up.

There is a reason why he wanted to become an astronaut in the first place. Finn felt that wherever he went on Earth, his dad would always find him and remind him of every single failure he had made in his life. He thought that if he could simply get away from that wretched planet, he'd finally have freedom from his abusive household. Obviously, his dad tried to dissuade Finn from pursuing his dreams as an astronaut. But Finn didn't give a shit. His dad isn't even his biological dad anyway, so it shouldn't matter. Plus, he was a cruel, sociopathic prick. 

Now that Finn is finally a million miles away from his so-called "home," he can finally build new relationships with his fellow crewmates. It's only been 168 hours that he's been on the Skeld, which is equivalent to 5 days on Earth. There are some friendly faces here, and there are also crewmates that he didn't know too well. He thought about William again, about his chiselled figure, his loving hazel-brown eyes, his—

Stop acting so gay, son. The harsh voice of his father said. I will not raise a son who likes boys. That is fucking weird, his father said. Finn remembered all those times where his father called him many homophobic slurs. It's strange, really. His father supports the LGBTQ+ community, but not when it comes to his own son. Yeah, that's not who I am, I am not gay. I'm just confused. I know this because I've dated girls before. I can't be gay if I've dated girls. Finn punished himself. And yet, his heart tells a different story. Maybe I just really like William as a friend.

"You're spending an awful lot of time opening the door," Ethan said. Finn whirled around in surprise, dropping his keys. Ethan laughed at Finn's reaction.

"Jesus, you scared the crap out of me."

Ethan continued laughing until his laughs slowly turned into pants. He snatched the key out of Finn's hand and unlocked the door for him.

"Opening a door. It ain't hard."

When you're questioning your sexuality, everything is fucking hard. Finn grouchily thought.

The guys walked into their small, cozy rooms. There are two bunk beds, one on the right and one on the left. Across from the door, there is a large, round window with a perfect view of the stars. In the middle of the room, there is a mini door on the ground to store clothes. A bedside table fits perfectly between the two bunk beds (Ethan thankfully got his bag of cashews back on the bedside table). On each bunk bed, the clean white sheets tucked in, with the navy blue cotton blankets folded and put on the end of each bed. Ethan slept on the left bottom bed, and Finn slept on the top right bed.

"So... which girl were you thinking about?" Ethan asked. "You seemed distracted."

Finn furrowed his brows. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb with me, Finny boi. I know exactly when someone is thinking of their crush or romantic partner." Ethan said, leaning against the frame of the door, pushing up his glasses. "Except that, I know for a fact that you don't have a girlfriend so it must be a crush." Ethan chuckled. Finn glanced at Ethan. "Hah hah, very funny," Finn said sarcastically. Ethan patted his shoulder. "Hey, if you need to talk to someone, you know who to find," Ethan reassured. Finn forced a smile. "Thanks, man." 

Suddenly, a high-pitched female voice screamed.

Ethan and Finn glanced at each other. "Emily," they both gasped in unison.

Heartbeat racing at the speed of a race car, Al climbed in the vent, trying to slow his breathing.

You did it, Al, you are finally doing your mission right. You should be proud of yourself. But Al felt sick to his stomach. He didn't know why, but he did.

Hands quivering, William frantically crawled his way through, trying to find another exit.

As William kept crawling, he saw a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Sighing with temporary relief, he crawled faster to the light. He peered through the vent, making sure that there was nobody around that can see him. He lifted the lid and climbed out.

The vent from the admin room leads to the cafeteria, Al noted.

He ran to Medbay. That way if anyone finds the body and questions him, then he can say that he was in Medbay packing his stuff.

As Al pretended to pack his things, the yellow astronaut came in.

"Hey! Sorry to bother you, but have you seen Aaron? It's the astronaut in green, in case you didn't know."

William recognized her voice. Emily. That was her name.

"No, unfortunately, I didn't. Sorry." William replied, trying his best to act like he didn't murder someone 10 minutes ago.

Emily looked disappointed. "Oh, well if you see him, can you tell him that I'm sorry? I've made a terrible mistake and I shouldn't have done it." Emily said, parting her toffee-coloured hair to the side.

William didn't bother to ask what happened with her and Aaron. He was too busy worrying about his mission. "Yeah, sure."

If they come out alive.

Emily felt relieved. "Thank you so much! William is your name, right?"

"Yeah."

William didn't even notice Emily leave Medbay.

He heard Emily scream in fear.

William froze, his palms clammy.

She found the body.

Al gripped his weapon. 

New victim detected.