11 • strawberry dress

(suggested song: "meteor shower" - cavetown)

there were only two people in the library as far as theo could tell; an older lady whose hair was pulled in a loose bun typing away at her computer, and a girl who appeared to be her assistant.

the latter was tugging a cart filled with books and magazines behind her, an affectionate smile played on her lips as she focused her attention on her phone and the messages she was reading.

she would have tripped over a stack of books on the floor if theo hadn't warned her, which was awkward considering he didn't even know her name or what to call her.

he played with the straps on his bag slung across his shoulder, not knowing if he should wait for an answer. the girl stopped in her tracks and finally tore her gaze to the pile of forgotten literature and then to theo.

she wore a long dress covered in strawberries of a soft red hue, similar to the colour of roses blossoming for the first time during spring. it followed her every move gracefully, and brought out her skin that was dusted with freckles; her own miniature constellation.

her hair was stylized into a curly pixie cut that cupped her face delicately, strands of hair often popping up in different angles all over.

she ran a hand through her hair in embarrassment, a sure sign of why it was in such disarray.

"thanks for that, totally my bad! my fucking dumbass would have fallen right away if it weren't for you. and that would have been what? like, the fifth time this month already?" she gave a sheepish laugh.

theo grinned and felt himself grow comfortable in her presence. she emitted nothing but warmth and tenderness, something he hadn't been reminded of since he was with his mother back in new york.

"how'd you manage to even trip so many times? i don't think there's even that many piles of books left around." he said.

"you'd be suprised, honestly. but i swear it's not even my fault! it's actually my friend who keeps texting me-" her phone vibrated in her hand, and raised her eyebrows in an i told you so manner. "-who keeps me from doing my job around here. i swear to god when i see her, i'm going to tell her what happened and you're going to be my proof!"

"that i saved you from tripping?"

"that you saved me from tripping," she nodded in agreement. "oh, and that she's the only fucking one who keeps making me fall for her. because you know, distracting me and all that, nearly ate shit." she said.

"language, sara!" the librarian called, not once looking up from her computer.

"fuck, i'm sorry 'lexis!" the mentioned immediately cringed at her mistake. "i meant sorry, totally not the f word!"

the older woman sighed. "yes, i'm fully aware, sara. you tell me that everytime i remind you."

theo stiffled a laugh as sara gave an amused shrug. she placed her phone in her pockets and began to fill her arms with books instead, placing them in their correct spots on the shelves. she smiled warmly at theo, encouraging him to follow her as she pulled the cart behind her.

"so," she glanced quickly at the cover of a book and fit it snug with the rest. "as you've probably heard, my name's sara. so what's yours, person who saved me from nearly falling on my arse?"

"it's theo. well, it's actually theodore, but i go by theo since it's shorter. they're the same thing, really."

"oh!" her face lit up with recognition. "leela told me about you! you're the one she's going to meet here right? for tutoring?"