Chapter 5

Lying on her bed, Ellie was hearing the thunders that roared strongly outside throughout the storm that was hitting the city. She had closed the blinders and yet she could hear how the rain tapped strongly and disorganized against it. Before every thunder, a light would infiltrate the bedroom through the window, giving it a dim clarity and right after it, it seemed the sky was falling apart. Yet, despite all the commotion happening outside, it was not the rain or the thunder or the lightning that was keeping her awake. The fact that she was in her bedroom, in her bed and Chris was sleeping somewhere else was keeping her awake. Her body was there but her mind was across the corridor in the other bedroom, in the other bed. She turned from one side to another trying to find a comfortable position and closed her eyes many times in an attempt to sleep, but she'd open them right after.

"Shit..." She whispered and lied on her back, staring at the ceiling though she could not see it in the dark.

After a few seconds, Ellie pulled her covers away and walked up to the door. She held the door's knob and pulled it really carefully not to make any noise and then opened the door and peeked. Chris had the door slightly opened, but his room was dark and she concluded that he was probably sleeping. She took a deep breath and turned around to come back to her bed, but she stopped half way there and looked back. She shook her head and went back to the door and got out of the bedroom, stopping at the corridor in front of Chris's door. Her mind was killing her... her feelings were speaking louder than anything else.

Chris tensed on the bed as he felt her presence by the door. He had heard her go back and forth though she was trying to be silent. When he heard her going back, the hint of hope he had that she would enter the bedroom and join him was lost. He pulled the covers up until his neck and closed his eyes, but he was unable to sleep knowing she was just across the corridor. Then, he felt his door cracking open very gently and his heart skipped a beat right there. He didn't move for he didn't know if she wanted him to know she had been there. He was almost sustaining his breathing and his hands were clutching onto the sheets very tightly. Much to his surprise, he felt a pillow landing on the bed and the covers being pulled away. His heart began to pound very fast and he bit his lower lip to contain his emotions and then he felt the mattress sink by his side as her body lied down next to his. Chris didn't move but his chest could burst at any moment.

"Chris..." Ellie whispered.

For a moment, he doubted if he should reply or not. Maybe she was just making sure he was sleeping for he had his back turned at her. However, Ellie called him again.

"Chris... are you sleeping?" She whispered.

"No." He finally replied and turned on his back, feeling his hand land on hers.

"I don't wanna sleep separated." She told him, holding the hand that had fell on top of hers. "It doesn't make sense."

"Then we don't." He responded sweetly in the dark.

"Ok." She said.

"Ok." He said.

"Do you have any clothes on?" She asked then which caused him to giggle. "I am serious..." She told him when she heard him giggle.

"I am in shorts and a shirt." He responded in a joyful tone. "Is that good enough?" Chis asked and she recognized his mocking tone.

Ellie smiled. "Don't mock me." She told him.

"Come here, babe." He asked her, dying to feel her wrapped around his body.

Ellie flew to him in no flat time. She wrapped her arms around his torso and rested her head on his chest, confirming he was wearing a shirt. Then, he kissed the top of her head and closed his eyes while Ellie was hearing his heart beating fast inside his chest. Hers was the same. She raised her head and placed a kiss on his chest and then closed her eyes.