Chapter Four

As Theodore got ready for duty, he kept replaying the night before over in his head. Them having a chat in the garden, not needing to be formal in front of each other. Theo was glad that he got fired from his job. Who knew what his life would be like if he hadn't.

He strutted out of the guards' quarters, ready to start his first guard duty. He was instructed to stand watch during the royal breakfast.

Walking into the dining room, he was greeted with tall windows on the far wall and a decent sized table with four chairs placed around.

Theo stood at the far wall, waiting for the royal family to arrive. Two other guards arrived minutes later with the royal family trailing in behind. Theo bowed deeply as they took their seats around the table. The king and queen sat at the head of the table, while the princess sat across from the prince who was sitting facing Theo.

Their food came out shortly, carried by the cooks, covered by a cloche. They were placed in front of them, and the cloche was removed. Steam instantly rose from the dish, and savoury aroma filled the air.

Placed before them were poached eggs, sausage, and fluffy pancakes served with maple syrup. The king and queen had coffee, the princess had tea, and the prince had—what looked like—orange juice.

Theo tried not to laugh at the prince's choice of drink, but he couldn't help but crack a smile. That's too cute, he thought.

    Mehdi, who was having a conversation with the princess, looked up, catching Theo's eye and winked. The king and queen were having a very intense conversation between themselves, so they didn't notice, but the princess definitely did and formed a knowing smile. Theo rolled his eyes but his smile still dwindled.

    The king and queen were now talking to their son. Theo was not listening to their gossip, however, he was studying the prince. He noticed how the prince's nose was splattered with freckles that spread lightly across his cheeks as he scrunched it when laughing at whatever the king said. He combed a hand through his hair, showing what can only be nerves.

    "You can't be serious." The voice of the prince reached out to Theo's senses, breaking his concentration on the prince. The king and queen looked surprised by his sudden outburst.

    "I thought you would be happy about this," the queen spoke.

    "I mean, I am, but it's just so abrupt," Mehdi responded, correcting his tone.

    "We know this son, but we just want what's best for you," the king spoke this time. Theo saw Mehdi look at the princess for help, but she didn't say a word.

    Theo was confused. He must've missed something important during his study of the prince.

    "Are you sure you thought this through?" Mehdi asked. "Princess Reyan and I have only known each other for what? A day? We still have lots to learn about."

    "Yes, but if the public is informed of the marriage beforehand, the kingdom can form stronger ties with Panlea, which might help with the rebellions that could be happening," his mother informed him.

    And then the princess spoke out. "I think this would be a good idea."

    Mehdi looked at her with a what-are-you-doing expression.

    "See! Princess Reyan gets it!" the king exclaimed. Mehdi looked pale. He opened his mouth to say something, quickly shutting it and scattering out of the room.

    Theo had a strong urge to go after the prince but decided it would be best if he stayed put. The king and queen looked shocked from Mehdi running out of the room. Because Reyan's back was to Theo, he couldn't see the expression on the princess, but by the tense shoulders, he could say that she was uncomfortable.