Chapter Nine

The Prince of Arowdor was not ready. At all. He stood in his room, pins and needles sticking out from his suit that was being fitted for the party. It was a maroon satin suit with gold embroidering that lined at the cuffs.

His father, King Tudor, was in the room watching the maid do her dandy work with attentive eyes. His presence was ever-so-slightly intimidating.

"Are you excited, son?" the king asked.

"I guess." Mehdi wasn't sure of what else to say. Was he excited? No, he was entirely dreading it. He knew there were going to be a lot of people gathered for this special event, and that frightened him.

"What do you mean you 'guess'? This day is a day that you shall never forget! You know," he started, "I still remember my engagement party. I was a bundle of nerves at first, but when I saw your mother walking down those stairs in her lavender gown with a bright smile on her face, it was like I was falling in love with her all over again. She was just so captivating!"

Mehdi rolled his eyes.

"Oh don't roll your eyes at me, Mehdi. I'm sure the same will happen to you when Princess Reyan comes down those stairs in her lovely gown."

If only you knew, Father, Mehdi brooded.

-------

The king was right. Princess Reyan was incredibly stunning. Mehdi stood at the bottom of the stairs gaping up at Reyan as she came down them elegantly. She was wearing a strapless mauve gown that hugged her hips and fluttered down and out. Her wavy blonde hair was tied up in a low messy bun with loose pieces of wispy hair that framed her face.

"You look absolutely breathtaking," Mehdi said as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Thank you! You don't look too shabby yourself," she teased. "I'm really liking the maroon on you."

"You think? I thought it was a bit too much with the glossiness of it if I'm being honest."

"No, I think it suits you!"

"If you say so," Mehdi said with a laugh.

They walked arm in arm to the ballroom where a bunch of people were already waiting for them. Mehdi's heart quickened its pace as they got closer to the room. The king and queen stood at the ballroom doors, waiting for the couple before they headed in.

"You two look amazing!" the queen exclaimed.

"Thank you, Your Majesty!" Reyan replied.

"Are we ready to head in?" the queen asked as she hooked her arm in her husband's. The guards on either side didn't wait for an answer as they swung open the doors. Chatter came to a halt and all eyes went to the royal family. Someone announced:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the royal family of Arowdor."

Then there was clapping from around the room. As the family strolled in, many people around them bowed or curtsied whenever they passed. Mehdi could hear murmurs from the crowd saying how cute the couple was. He tried not to cringe outwardly.

The prince put on a fake smile that hopefully convinced the audience that he was happy to be there in the center of attention. He looked to Reyan who was the complete opposite. She was grinning from ear to ear and saying hello to the guests. He really wasn't sure how she does it so easily.

"Let's go find my parents!" Reyan said excitedly.

"Your parents are here?"

"Of course they're here! This is an engagement party for the prince and their daughter!"