Chapter 3: Long Lost Happiness

In this chapter, we will be introduced to the following characters:-

~ Ji Li (17-Year-old, Son of the Grand Master of Birch Pavilion, ambitious, sincere, responsible, energetic, cheerful, and easy-going) 

~ Yu Ziyuan (wife of Grand Master of Birch Pavilion, The matriarch mother of Ji Li and maternal mother of Xiao Xingchen(which is revealed later)).

The Next Morning in the Maple Pavilion*****

"Why didn't he tell me that Night that he will be off to night hunt?" Xiao Xingchen thought and continued his packing with a deep sigh as he will be now off to Birch Clan.

Xiao Xingchen missed Xue Yang. The way he grabbed him and confessed his true feelings to him. Love has never been on his mind, but after Xue Yang came into his life, he realized what love is and the emotions buried deep inside his heart.

"Are you ready, master? Ji Li jumped into the room. 

"Ji Li! How many times have I told you not to jump through the window? It's not a good habit".

"Sorry, master," said Ji Li while kowtowing him. "Let's go," said Xiao Xingchen.

Ji Li carried Xiao Xingchen's luggage and started moving to the Birch Clan.

** The Master of Birch Pavilion has called Xiao Xingchen as he needs some assistance for training disciples, so he is being transferred from Maple Clan to the Birch Clan under the clan leader's permission *****

Ji Li is a member of the Birch Clan and was there to accompany him. As they were about to enter the Birch Clan, they had to walk through the thick forest. The trees in the dark woods were nicotine-brown. The musty air was difficult to breathe. The forest was old and otherworldly. Oxblood-red toadstools littered the ground. A pungent odor hung off everything. Xiao Xingchen was startled to see such a forest; it was nothing lively like the ones in Maple Clan.

**** In the Birch Pavilion *******

Xiao Xingchen kowtowed the Grandmaster and, after a short conversation, went to his room. He was being guided/assisted by Ji Li.

"Never!! Raise your voice against the Clan Reader and avoid him as much as you can. Never get on the negative side of him. He is ruthless and The word 'forgiveness' is not part of his vocabulary." played back in his mind while he was unpacking his things. Grand Master's wariness made his senses heighten.

It was past nightfall, and shadows and light from the hearth danced around him. He looked up into the sky, admiring the stars.

"Are You Xiao Xingchen?" said a woman, middle-aged, red-haired, tall, strong-jawed.

"Yes," said Xiao Xingchen and kowtowed her.

Her Name is Yu Ziyuan.

"You have such baby skin." The woman admired his face while touching him, just like a mother meeting her separated son and saying, "You have grown so much!!".

"Dinner is ready. Please join us, " she said in a soft tone.

They started moving towards the dining hall, where Grandmaster and Ji Li were waiting for him.

"He's always singing your praises. " Yu Ziyuan said while offering food to Xiao Xingchen.  Delighted by this, Xiao Xingchen thanked the Grandmaster and started eating.

The woman started telling them about their funny moments, which filled the dinner table with laughter and happiness.

Xiao Xingchen was very happy and felt as if he was also a part of this family and missed his mother more and hiding his emotions, smiled, and joined them in the laughter.

The next day, Xiao Xingchen wrapped up his work and was on his way to his room, but was stopped by Ji Li requesting him to accompany him to the water gardens where they had to pull lotus roots for dinner.

Xiao Xingchen could not resist his cuteness and agreed to accompany him.

Water Garden was full of lotus flowers. The Place was covered with long grass, and the sun rays were falling on the lotus, intensifying the water gardens' beauty; the water was shining as the sun rays fell on it.

Ji Li jumped in to pull out lotus roots, and Xiao Xingchen stayed out to collect the lotus roots Ji Li was handing over to him.

Ji Li pushed Xiao Xingchen to the pond and started laughing. The place echoed with sweet laughter.

Grand Master and his mother rushed to the place and saw Xiao Xingchen in the pond; his clothes all muddy, and Ji Li laughing.

The Grandmaster was about to scold Ji Li but was interrupted by Xiao Xingchen as he started laughing. Grand Master had never seen Xiao Xingchen laughing; he was delighted to see him laughing.

The Place was filled with Xiao Xingchen's and Ji Li's laughter. The elderly watched them and smiled.

Xiao Xingchen assisted Yu Ziyuan in making food and felt the warmth of motherhood.

"Your mother is fortunate for giving birth to a child like you," Yu Ziyuan said and sulked into her thoughts as she was missing her child.

"If she was alive, she must have been like you," Xiao Xingchen replied, hiding his emotions.

"Mother!! I feel hunger" Ji Li jumped in the middle of the conversation.

"Yes!! My child," Yu Ziyuan said, smiling at Ji Li.

The day ended with a delightful dinner, and everybody went back to their room. 

As Xiao Xingchen looked at the locket he wore; he went into the deep slumber of his old memories and fell asleep with tears flowing through his eyes.