Chapter 1: Opening up a can of worms

Stephanie Blythe threw her tennis ball against the wall and caught it again. Her bright ebony eyes trailed where the ball hit before. She listened as her partner, Frank Robinson, was gathering all his belonging to leave.

He was a big man, Frank, with his broad shoulders and large belly. He had startling blue eyes and brown hair turning grey at the sides that was always combed backwards, and could always be seen drinking from his metal flask. He had been Stephanie's partner for almost her entire career. She couldn't fathom a day without him. He was her go to man, her breakfast man, her shoulder to cry on when she watched depressing wildlife documentaries man.

He was much older than Stephanie, but they are such close friends. They understand each other and got into quarrels that livened both their days. Stephanie tried convincing him not to leave all morning.

"Do you really have to go?" she groaned, turning herself to face Frank. "This precinct won't be the same without you."

"I've reached that age I'm afraid," he said and took a shot from his flask.

"Oh come on. We all know you're old, but you're not that old! What are you? 51? 63?"

"I'm 59, Stephanie."

"Oh."

Stephanie got up from her seat and made her way to the other side of the desk. She stood in front of the table, blocking Frank from reaching the drawers.

"Okay. But who's going to get me coffee and doughnuts in the morning?" Stephanie asked and crossed her arms defiantly.

"Your new partner," Frank said and gently moved her out of the way. Stephanie pouted.

"You can't let someone else look after my wellbeing."

"You'll be fine."

"Really? Because...what if they don't know what kind of music I enjoy in the car, or how I like my coffee..." Stephanie gasped dramatically. "What if they feed me peanuts?!"

The old man frowned at the youths irrational speech. He placed a steady hand on her shoulder.

"You're coming Saturday, right? To my father's birthday dinner?" Stephanie asked, interrupting Frank. He frowned, annoyed but then grinned mischievously.

"Is your aunt going to be there?" he asked with a hint of glee in his voice that he didn't even bother to hide.

"Nope. Just me and my dad."

"I'll think about it."

Stephanie snickered at his reply.

"I wish you good fortune on your long journey, young one," Frank said and returned her smile. "Stay safe...and don't get killed. You're supposed to come to my funeral first, you hear me? I'm not mourning you if you die before me."

Before Stephanie could yell at Frank, a short blonde rushed over to them looking frantic and exhausted.

"Megan? What are you doing here?!" Stephanie asked her friend who panted beside her. "Isn't it your sisters wedding today?"

"Uh, yeah," Megan answered with a pant.

"Really?" Frank asked after taking yet another shot from his flask. "Congrats."

"Thank you, sir! And good luck with your retirement. You've inspired so many of us with your great work and–"

"Megan! Sisters wedding?" Stephanie urged.

"Right! Right!" Megan exclaimed, getting back on track. She had to stop to think for a second. "Umm, the Captain wanted me to give you this. He said it's a special case. Only you are allowed to work on it." Megan held out a brown file that she had been hugging and forgot about entirely.