A safer place

Chapter five

"I'm Aleah and I'm 15 years old." I said. I looked over to Daryl, expecting him to introduce himself, but he remained silent. I sighed, "and this is my older brother Daryl- he's 22"

Rick nodded before asking, "So you two on your own?" I thought of my mum and dad. This time neither of us responded. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked. So where have you guys being staying since this disease broke out?"

"In our home with our father, we went on regular runs for supplies in the town you found us in yesterday. After our father.." I stopped, not knowing how to answer. "We decided we had to get out of the house and keep moving. We were getting ready to go on a search for the CDC when you found us.."

"We already went, our crew. There is no CDC, at least not anymore.." Maggie trailed off.

"What do you mean not anymore? There's no cure? No rescue team?" I asked worriedly.

They all just looked at me with sad eyes. "Rick's prison is the safest place we know of, we've managed perfectly fine there, he's done a good job." Michone said. I smiled at her gratefully, "thank you"

"Say, does your brother ever talk?" Michone asked, smirking. Daryl looked up at her and glared, I guess he didn't trust them or didn't want to admit he needed their help. Whatever it was, I knew he'd tell me later in private.

"Okay we're here" Rick said. A boy around my age wearing a sheriffs hat, presumaby Rick's son, (who wasn't that bad looking I have to say) ran to the fence and opened it for us, locking it quickly behind us.

"Goddamit Carl, are you on watch by yourself?" Rick asked him, but he didn't answer him, instead he looked at me with wide eyes, "Who's she?" Carl asked. Rick just smirked, "This is Aleah, her brother Daryl is also here, we found 'em in the town surrounded by a herd, now where are the others?" Carl turned red, embarrased when he realised his staring was noticed.

"They're inside- Hershel and Beth are looking after Judith"

"Okay, I'll take Aleah and Daryl to their cells, you get everyone in the main room to meet our new members"

"I can take them" Carl offered.

"Nice try son, but I'll take 'em" Rick said taking off Carl's hat and ruffling his hair. Carl looked embarrased and quickly tried to fix his hair, making me laugh.

"Okay c'mon this way" Rick said, guiding us to our cell. It wasn't big, but it wasn't small. It was the perfect size. I straight away collapsed on the bed and started unpacking my things. "Don't get too comfortable, you still gotta meet the rest of us!" Rick joked. I immediately sat up straight, worried. What if the others didn't like me and wanted us out? Where would we go then? Rick looked to me as if he could read my thoughts, "I'm only joking, there's no need to worry. They're a lovely group of people and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to have new members of the family". I relaxed and continued packing. "Thanks Rick, for taking us in, never met a decent man in my life, 'cept Daryl when he wants to be" I said.

"It's our pleasure" Rick chuckled,"now I'll see you both in the main block in 5 minutes, we'll be waiting"