I can protect myself

Chapter seven

I watched as Carl picked up a rock and threw at the fence, grunting in frustration. "It's just not fair! He treats me like I'm a kid when I'm not anymore! I can protect myself!" he yelled to no one in particular. I sat down and lit a pile of wood in front of me on fire in attempt to warm up. "I know it sucks Carl, Daryl treats me the same way, but he's only trying to keep you alive, I wish I had a dad that cared for me like that"

"Yeah, it's just he's been way too overprotective ever since mom died.."

"Oh I'm sorry.. I didn't know.." It looked like it had been a while since he'd spoken to someone his age, being around all these adults and having all these responsibilities must have been tough. I could relate to this as I only ever spoke to Daryl, and he was 8 years older than me.

Carl sighed and sat down in front of the fire with me. "It's fine, we all lose someone, who'd you lose? Where's your mom?"

"Mom died before all this happened, it killed like a bitch at the time but now I'm sorta happy she died without having to live in this hell hole and spend every day in constant fear"
I was surprised at how quickly I managed to open up to him, I barely knew him, but he jut seemed so easy to talk to. Carl looked apologetically at me and nodded, "and ya dad?"

"Alive. Well he was earlier, I don't know about now, we left him. But I shouldn't care. He may have been my father but he sure as Hell weren't my dad."

Carl looked to me confused and I sighed, "he wasn't the best parent in the world, Heck he was probably the worst, but I don't wanna talk about it right now, it still kinda hurts to think about it.." I replied, a tear rolling down my cheek. I had only known Carl for what- an hour? and he was already breaking down these walls I built up years ago, God I bet I looked so weak in front of him. I felt my cheeks heat up as Carl scooted closer to me, wiping the tear away with his thumb, "It's okay, I understand. But if you ever wanna talk about it I'm always here.." I looked up at him into his crystal blue eyes, "thanks Carl."

"Don't thank me now, thank me later when I save your life" he smirked. Way to ruin the moment.

"Oh? And what makes you think that it'll be you saving me?"

"Just a feeling. I mean your only weapon is a bow, and you look too gentle and pretty to be able to kill a walker" he challenged. I blushed at that comment, did he really think I was pretty? I arched an eyebrow, returning to my competitive side. "is that so?" I asked, before grabbing a knife from my left boot and throwing it in the direction of a walker outside the fence, hitting it directly in the head. I turned around with my arms folded, a smirk on my face.

"I gotta say that was pretty impressive.. but that knife didn't quite catch the eye.."

"I wasn't aiming for the eye!"

"Why not? You can't do it?" he smirked. I grabbed an arrow from my set and quickly aimed with my bow and released, hitting it straight in the eye, a bullet hitting its other eye at the exact same moment. I looked to Carl who had a gun in his hands and we laughed.

"Hey it's getting dark and they still haven't arrived.. I'm gonna go look for 'em"

"Are you crazy? At night time!?"

"I've just proved that I can protect myself! I'm just worried about them, that's all"

"Okay fine, but I'm not letting you go alone" he said smiling at me before loading his gun.