The Real Villain

Third Person POV

Third Person POV

Anyone who was armed was right at the entrance, their weapons raised for the arrival of Vince. 

Florent had a beautifully decorated silver pistol, it's design clearly showing it was a vintage piece. Siobhan stood next to her husband, both producing an array of throwing knives. 

The men of the Heart family all had personalised weapons, but Tina's was the one no one could get their eyes off of. It was pure gold, with rubies set in it to mimic roses, the words 'prima la famiglia' inscribed on the side. 

No one lingered to get their weapons out though as the women and children were ushered to the safe spots, but just as they all turned the safety off of their guns, the most unexpected late-comer burst through the doors.

"Why on earth have you bastards got your weapons raised at me?!" an Italian voice boomed, his white suit looking like it was glowing in the light of the car behind him.

"Papà?" Thomas asked, as Giovanni Cuore stepped through, his eyes holding a very familiar disappointing look.

"I come late one time, and you children raise your guns at me?" Giovanni spat, as all the leaders sheepishly lowered their weapons in the presence of a former leader.

Giovanni's name was well known amongst every mafia for one reason.

He had taken down two mafia's bare-handed, killing all 2000 men in cold blood.

It had earned him the title of King during his reign, until all of the mafias decided to become partners, and not a hierarchy.

His face softened as he saw his daughter-in-law, who ran up to him to give him a hug. "Ah Tina, it's been too long. Has my son been treating you well?" he asked, his voice considerably softer than before.

"Of course Giovanni, you know I'd call you the minute his hand came into contact with me," Tina reassured, as her husband gulped. 

"Now someone explain why your weapons were raised and the children are missing?" Giovanni inquired, and Tina spoke up.

"We had contact that Vince was here, were you followed Gio?" 

Giovanni's face paled, and Tina's confidence in her father-in-law shrunk. "Dad?" Thomas asked, and Giovanni looked over to Thomas fearfully.

"I just got a new driver."

----

Meanwhile, as the party guests that were unable to protect themselves were sent down to the safe room, Colette, Grayson, Anastasia and Alexei were all in a hidden van, working at getting into the local security cameras.

Grayson had only followed them to protect them, and Anastasia was glad that he was with her - he was quite good with children, and poor little Alexei had not stopped crying after being parted from his parents. He now lay in Grayson's arms, as Grayson kept an eye on the door of the van.

Anastasia breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of her grandfather, but as she saw the occupants of the room tense, she switched to the camera down the side of the building, where sure enough, a few figures were creeping down, obviously going for the children.

Alexei knew something was up, but Colette distracted him, not wishing for the child to see anything. Grayson had made calls out to the local gangs allied with them, as well as off-duty members like Riccardo, who had been busy grading projects up until that moment. 

Anastasia could feel a panic attack coming along as the first gun shot went off, a warning fire from one of Vince's men to drag the able people outside. Anastasia just wanted to scream out to her family, to tell them to hide themselves.

But she knew the Omertà.

And she knew they would die before handing themselves over to the enemy. 

The screens in the van crackled, before a familiar face crashed on. "Oh hello Anastasia," the voice said, it's once warm and welcoming tone now full of the hatred they had always felt.

"I know where you are, I know where everything is. Thomas really was stupid, thinking Vince was  the one controlling everything. That man was far too set on revenge to see the bigger picture." The voice paused dramatically as the other occupants in the van froze, Colette putting her hands over Alexei's ears, as Grayson handed him over to her.

"How is this possible? All those birthdays, all the times I ran to you as a child, how?" Anastasia stuttered, her brain confused.

The voice laughed. "All I ever wanted was for my child to be on top. For my child to be the one to marry Charlie and take control. But the stupid girl fell for the other one instead, making me do things myself," they said, whilst Grayson struggled to not lash out and break the screen.

"So just because your child fell for someone, you're seeking what, revenge?Just because you won't be rich?" Anastasia huffed and the person nodded, before grinning.

"I'm afraid I must go, your father has noticed my disappearance, and I hate shows that end without a bang." 

The screen glitched once again before every screen shut off, just as another gunshot rang out, followed by a scream that sounded very familiar.

"ASTRID!"

----

Thomas and the people inside heard the first gunshot, knowing full well what it meant. 

"He just declared war," Charlie whispered, as the lights went off in the ballroom. The emergency lights came on, but as Thomas turned to consult someone, he realised they were missing.

The traitor had been at his right-hand the whole time.

"Son of a bitch!" he shouted, turning to the people awaiting his order. Even the other mafia leaders looked to him, due to the fact this was his turf, and he had every right to shoot them if they said something wrong.

"How could he?" Tina spluttered in disbelief, her mamma bear side quickly coming to front. Her sons all scooted away from her, as well as anyone who knew Tina really well.

"I could because I did, Tina," they said, standing in the doorway that led to the safe room. They raised their gun up to Thomas' head as men swarmed in behind them, including Vince, who had a struggling Astrid in his arms.

Charlie's face dropped, as he witnessed his new sister try with all her might to fight the monster holding her. 'That's my girl,' he thought, as she then attempted to bite her father's hand.

"Ah! Stupid bitch," he yelled, slapping Astrid across her face. She went limp from the force, and everyone raised their guns as the sight of blood on her face became clearer and clearer.

"Let the girl go!" Thomas ordered, and Vince cackled, pulling the child closer.

"She's mine you know, and I must thank you for training her so well, she put up a good fight, I'll tell you that. At first I was mad that those fools had taken her, bloody idiots taking the wrong girl, but when I heard you had saved her and taught her how to be strong, well, I realised just how good of an heir she could be," Vince said.

The person next to him laughed for a second, bringing confusion to Vince's face.

"You really think you're in charge?" he asked, his gun still cocked.

Vince's face flooded with realisation, but it was short-noticed as the person changed their target, swiftly shooting Vince straight between his eyes. Astrid screamed, and the room turned to shit as she crawled to hide, avoiding the bullets.

Thomas was still in disbelief as he ordered Charlie to grab Astrid, shooting at men, and watching them drop like flies.

How could the father of his daughter's best friend do this?

How could Andrew Matthews betray him?