Crazier Things

"Hey, are you okay?" Yeji sat on the couch. Her fiance has been quiet for most of their day together. Today was supposed to be lovely, relaxing since their schedules were open.

"Of course."

Yeji picked up on the tone. "I ask if you're okay and you respond with an attitude... What's up with you?"

"What's up with me?"

Yeji stared at her partner, analyzing her expression. Ryujin was laying on the far end of the couch and, while the sofa wasn't that big, it felt like miles to Yeji. "Aren't we supposed to be enjoying the movie together? We can change it if you think it's boring."

"It's not. I love this movie."

"You're not even watching it, though."

"I am watching it."

"No, you're not. Your face is literally buried into the corner of the couch right now." She pulled off the sheet wrapped around her lover. "Are you angry?"

"It's nothing."

"Upset?"

"No."

"Then why do you sound like that?" Yeji scooted over a few inches. "Are you sleepy?"

"I'm not sleepy."

She gazed at her worriedly, resisting the urge to feel for a temperature. "Feeling sick? I can take you to bed if you want."

"You know, you treat me like a baby."

"Aren't you my baby?"

Yeji watched as her fiance finally spared a moment to look back at her. She raised a brow in a lighthearted manner, hoping the tease would put a smile on the girl's face. However, the unexpected silence left a queasy sensation in her stomach, a heavy feeling in her throat. She wished to hear something to ease this newfound anxiety. Ryujin simply closed her eyes again, returning her head to the position it was in seconds ago.

"Babe?"

"Yes?"

"You're acting so strange."

Yeji heard a sigh. Ryujin finally sat up, crisscrossing her legs in front of her. She stared at Yeji with a slight head tilt, leaving the oldest to wonder what was running through her mind.

Ryujin then left the living room area without saying a word. Though her return felt like an eternity to Yeji, she came back with a bigger blanket. She planted a gentle kiss on Yeji's forehead, then revisited the same position she was in previously. She made sure to take Yeji s hand before doing so, bringing the oldest to lay in front of her, the couch's limited space causing them to be close.

"I'm sorry." She put an arm around Yeji's waist, resting her chin against the latter's shoulder. "I'll watch the movie."

"You made a fool out of me... "

It was the hardest thing, to love Ryujin and sometimes not know how. Whether Yeji would admit it or not, her ex was questionable and made things complicated towards the end, and the ring came out of nowhere. Sure, so did the promise ring, but this one felt out of place when she compared the two.