002

HIS WHOLE WORLD SEEMED to go black and white. He wasn't conscious of the the one betraying tear that slipped from his honey eyes. "How?" He croaked, his voice begging for it to be a sick joke but he knew it wasn't. The two officers that had been the bearer of the terrible news.

"We still don't know who did it." The female began, knowing she was treading on eggshells. "The investigation is still going on." Even as she said those words, both the officers knew that it was the work of a dirty politician. It wasn't as if it was a new thing, which was the sad and bitter truth.

Ryder didn't know what to do, the only person in the whole world who he could truly trust, the one person who loved him no matter what he did or how he was but now...now she was gone. He didn't want to cry in front of them so he rubbed the test and blinked to get rid of any remaining tears. "Do I have to go to the police station?" He asked, his lips slightly trembling. Both of them looked at him with pity, something he didn't appreciate. He glared at them as an indication that he didn't like the look he was receiving. As if realising what he was trying to say they both stopped. The male officer answered, "Unfortunately, you will have to come to precinct. We have to see where you will be staying seeing as you are a minor." That was not good for Ryder. His mothers family wanted nothing to do with him, so his only options were to either stay at a foster home or stay with his father.

He had heard awful things from kids who were in the system and he didn't want to experience that, so he had to take a chance with his dad. He nodded,"Let me just grab a shirt." He said. He took the shirt that was hanging on the edge of a chair and slipped it on.

---

Upon arriving at the precinct, he was seated at one of the desks. "So,do you have any relatives that could take you any?" He, Jake he had come to know his name, asked. "Well..." He began, a bit afraid to mention him. "There's my-my dad." He finished, nervously. "Okay! That's good. So, who's your dad?" He asked the dreaded question. "It's- It's. My dad's-" He was stumbling over his words. He took a deep breath and said a sentence that he hadn't said in a long time, "Tony Stark's my dad." He looked up to see the expression on Jake's face was one of disbelief. "Kid, you better be joking." Jake looked at him with nervous eyes. "I'm not, you can check my documents if you want." He answered, his usual attitude coming back, fake it till you make it, he thought. Nobody had to know that he was sad, he just had to be strong.

He knew it was unhealthy, but did he care? The answer was no, no he did not. "You'll have to wait here." He said and went away. Ryder took out his cellphone and looked at the lock screen for a minute. It was picture of him and his mom when they baked cookies for his birthday.

He bit down on his lower lip and blinked rapidly. He leaned his head on the edge of his seat and sighed. Why did you leave me, Mom? He asked himself, hoping that she would appear right now and answer his question without him even asking them, like she always did.

Seconds turns minutes and minutes turn to hours as he waited. He saw many people come in and go out. Multiple cuffed people pushed into the holding cell. He sighed as Jake came in with a solemn look. "Well kid, I guess you weren't lying. We're gonna take you to your dad and see what he has to say." He said. "Wait, can we go to my house first? I have some things there." His voice cracked midway. He cleared his throat and stood up.

Both of them got in a department car and went straight to his apartment. As they reached his home, he told Jake to stay in the car and went inside himself. He probably wasn't going to see his home ever so, he got a good and long look. He took his mom's recipe book, his sketch book and his mom's old sketch book, it was one that she kept in during her college years. Wiping a few tears that had escaped he went out.

And the next thing he did was get on a plane to Malibu with a letter to the administration there with only one thing on his mind.

He was gonna meet his dad.

***
[Published 24. 10. 20]
Super short, I know. I just wanted to get this out there because probably in the next chapter we're gonna meet Mr. Tony Stark. Check out my other book, "The Tale of The Nine-Tailed" It's a fantasy. I just published another chapter, so go check that out. And vote, comment and follow me, if you haven't already