001

THE CRISP NOVEMBER AIR BRISTLED in the city of New York. The students at Midtown high weren't one to care about the weather, their minds clouded with the pressure of homework, essays and countless tests coming up.

One student among them that didn't care for the tests was Ryder Stark. You could say that Ryder Stark was smart then again his last name was Stark, not that anybody knew of course. His mother had given him her own name so as to avoid conflict with the media. She, of all people knew how the media could be.

As her profession was that of a journalist, it brought quite a few dangers in her life. Especially when she did her very courageous reports on dirty politicians. But everytime, her channel was given hush money to keep all the secrets safe. She did so, albeit begrudgingly, for her son who had had to grow up without the comfort of his father.

Ryder Adley was a skater boy but he had a reputation in school for sleeping around with girls, mostly because mom was never home and he never met dad . He was still had the highest grades in his class. How he did that the teachers had no idea considering his headphones never came off.

Like right now, his head was bobbing to the beat of the song that was playing in his headphones. The material that was taught was always too easy for him and he had already finished the worksheet that was handed at the start of the class.

"Mr. Adley! Mr. Adley!" The teacher's voice had silenced the class. Ryder, still unaware of his name being yelled, kept drumming his fingers on the table with his eyes closed. The teacher walked towards him and slammed the ruler in her hand on the table, hitting his hand a bit.

Startled, he looked up and met the glare of Mrs. Garcia. He quickly scrambled to remove his headphones as she began to scream and give him a lecture. He had learned very early on that tuning out lectures was much easier than actually listening.

"Detention, Mr. Adley!" She said and walked back to her desk. Mrs. Garcia was new to Midtown otherwise, she would've known that every teacher had a detention slip ready for Ryder and handed it to him at the end of the class.

His mom didn't care anymore for the detentions he got, because she was always busy and either way he was the best student. He ignored the urge to roll his eyes at the overdramatic teacher.

He didn't mind being in detention, it gave him time to think about everything. Maybe, do some homework or draw something, that kind of thing.

He got his headphones on right after she turned around and began to continue her lesson. After the bell rang, he slid off his seat and walked out taking the detention slip with him.

He walked towards his locker already seeing the annoying figure that was following him for the week. As he reached over and opened the locker to get his skateboard out she spoke,"Hey Ryder." Her finger tangled in a, her body tilted and her eyes blinking flirtatiously.

"Hey, Zoey." He replied, not looking at her. She didn't notice tho, too interested in his looks. "Do you wanna come over to my place?" He asked, leaning on the closed locker door and faced her for the first time.

Her smile seemed to widened even more at the mention of spending the evening at the charming boy's house. "Sure." She tried to play it cool but her expression said otherwise.

"Cool, I'll see you then." He said and walked off, ignoring the heart eyes that were bouncing from the girls and some boys in the hall.

"Nial! You got detention?" He asked, his best friend or only friend, might I add. Just because he's popular doesn't mean he had many friends. "No, but I almost got one tho." Nial, a brown haired, olive skinned boy who was in the swim team.

"I got practice, I gotta go. I'll catch you later." He said, getting ready to leave. "Can't, Zoey's coming over." He said with a slight smirk and bit of arrogance. "Oh...." Nial smiled and punched him lightly on the shoulder and went away to practice.

---

Ryder had reached home after his uneventful detention, he got something to eat. As soon as he had finished eating, the door bell rang. He opened the door to reveal Zoey, his date for the evening or distraction was more like it.

No words were exchanged for the rest of the evening as they put on a movie and ignored it, busy with other... physical activities.

As the ungodly activity was finished and he had send her home, the door bell rang again. He wondered why it did tho, it was almost time for his mom to be home but she never rang the doorbell. Maybe, she lost her keys.

But it wasn't his mom who was waiting for the door to open, it looked like some police officers. "How can I help you." He asked, still without a shirt and his sweats.

"Maybe you'd like to sit down for this." One officer in the front spoke. He looked at them a little weirdly,"Okay...come on in I suppose." He entered the house and sitting on the couch joined by the two officers.

"Your mother's name was Michelle Adley, was it not?" He asked, his expression solemn.

"Yes, why?" Ryder was getting more worried by the second. He was getting worried, he hadn't talked to his mom. The last time he talked to his mom was last night after she got home and she told him she loved him.

"I am sorry to tell you Mr. Adley but your mother was shot this afternoon"

***
Heyyyyyy. I just had my first exam and I think I did write well. Anyway, here's an update. And don't worry, I'll update PJ: An Avenger soon. But it'll have to be after my tests are over. Anyway, Happy reading