003

A WOMAN WAS WAITING for him at the airport. She was holding a sign with his name written on it. But it wasn't the name he usually went with it was his real name, Ryder Stark.

It was a short woman with black hair, who wore a purple dress with a black sweater. "Ryder Stark?" She asked as he neared her. "Ryder Adley, actually." He said, hoping that he could at least keep her last name alive. She nodded with a knowing look in her eyes.

She probably thought that he didn't like his dad but that wasn't it. At first, when he didn't know who his dad was or why he left them, he had resented him. But when his mom had made him understand the circumstances, he didn't anymore.

"I'm Jennifer." She said and extended her hand. "I would tell you my name, but you already know it." He sassed but shook her hand nonetheless. "Well, let's not waste time chit chatting. I believe we have somewhere to be." With that she led him outside and hailed a taxi.

The taxi driver was an old man named Stan. "Where to?" He asked, with a big smile on his face when he saw Ryder. "And who might you be, young man?" He asked. "Ryder Adley, sir." He said while sliding into the seat. She gave him the address, "Fancy!" he exclaimed and started the car.

As the silence settled, his thoughts wandered. What if his dad didn't take him in? What if he hated him. The 'what ifs' were driving him crazy so he stopped thinking for a moment. Before he could say, do or think anything else, his eyes widened as the house, no mansion came in to view.

He knew his dad was rich but boy, he did not expect that. As Jennifer paid Stan, he turned to get a good look at the place he might be staying in. Virginia (Pepper) Potts, Tony's assistant greeted them. "I'm Jennifer. I'm was the one that called about-" she was cut off by Pepper saying, "An appointment with Mr. Stark, yes." Jennifer nodded. "If you could wait for a few moments. He will be here in a short time. And please, take a seat." He said and walked with her heels clicking.

As Jennifer sat down, he strayed towards a portrait of Tony Stark. Bit narcissistic, if you think about it. A portrait of yourself in your own house. Ryder's breath hitched when he saw the signature on the edge of the picture. It was the signature his mom used in all her sketches.

He traced his hand, which was adorned by rings, on the frame. "Uh uh uh" he heard a voice, it was oddly familiar. When he turned to look who it was, he was shocked. There he was, Tony Stark in all his glory.

"You must be one of the kids from the school trip. I thought you weren't supposed to be here and aren't you a little big to be in 2nd grade?" Tony went on to ramble. His eyes then trailed to Ryder's hand which was resting on the polished frame. "Don't touch that!" He said, he huffed and asked his name. Before Ryder could answer, Jennifer appeared with Ms. Potts right behind her. "I see you've met Ryder." Pepper said and walked over to Tony.

***
The night was beautiful with it's starry sky and the moon glistening in all its glory. Two figures we're laying down on a blanket on the ground. "When we have a kid, if it's a boy we'll name him Ryder." He said.

"When?" She giggled, lifting her head from where it was buried in his chest. "Yes!" He nodded. "And what if it's a girl?" She asked. "We'll name her after you." He said at once.

"And why is that, sweetheart?" She asked, suppressing a grin. "Well darling, as you are my queen it is only fair that our little princess is named after you as well. I'll spoil her completely." He replied.

"You sound like you would love our child if it's a girl more." She said. "Of course not, I'll love our kid no matter the gender." He said and kissed her head.

***

The name Ryder had resurfaced a few old memories for Tony. But he wasn't one to dwell so he pushed her image to the back of his head. "Yes, and he is important because..." He trailed off, he didn't have time to deal with some teenager he had other things to do like dance to AC/DC in his lab. "Because I'm your son." Ryder said.

He knew that he was gonna be ridiculed by Tony as soon as he said it. Laughter erupted from the billionaire, the other two stood there with bemused faces while Ryder just rolled his eyes.

After Tony had finished his laughing session and noticed that nobody was laughing he asked, "Pep, Why aren't you laughing? The kid's funny." Pepper took a long and deep breath, "Because Tony, he's not lying." She told him. His expression was conflicted, his eyebrows were scrunched up and eyes were the windows to the internal battle that he was having.

"But-" He started but was cut off by Jennifer, "His mother's name is Michelle Adley. Are you familiar with that name?" She said hotly. Of course, he remembered. She was and still is one of the best things that ever happened to him. The countless nights and days that they spend together, so in love but then he had to screw it up.

"Yeah." He muttered, the floor seemed to interest him today. "Well, she was shot yesterday afternoon." Jennifer said slowly, hoping that he wouldn't combust into rage. His face went blank, similar to expression Ryder had when he was trying to hide emotions. He wanted to comfort him but something was restricting him.

"Ryder here..." She pushed him in the front, "Has nowhere to stay. And since his mother didn't marry and you are his biological father, if you are willing, he will have to stay here." She completed.

Ryder was uncomfortable just standing there. Plus he didn't like the similarities he was seeing between Tony and himself. The same brown eyes, same nose and the little dip in the chin that Tony had which was covered by his beard but was visible on Ryder's pale face.

"J.A.R.V.I.S, can you lead Ryder to the kitchen while we talk. He must be hungry after his long flight from New York." Pepper said, aiming the request towards the infamous AI that Tony had created.

Ryder wanted to protest but when he saw the looks he was getting from the two women he decided that he better follow whatever they were saying.

"Hello, Mr. Stark." A British voice rang. For a second, Tony thought J.A.R.V.I.S was talking to himself but soon realised that he had a child, who shared his last name. This is new territory for him so, it would take some time getting used to.

"Your AI's sounds cool." Ryder said, absentmindedly and walked away talking with the British AI. Tony's first compliment from his son, big accomplishment. Most dads got those regularly but then again he wasn't exactly there for him either.

Finding a piece of leftover pizza, Ryder let his mind wander. Maybe he had a chance, maybe his dad was going to take him in. Maybe Tony didn't hate him. Plus Pepper was nice, she could convince Tony to let him stay. Maybe he would be happy.

But the events that awaited the Stark family was far from that.

***
[Published 28. 10. 20]
New chap for a 100 reads!!!! Any suggestion or theories on what's gonna happen to Ryder. We finally met Tony and Pepper. Jennifer's here! Just kidding, she's a random character I made up. Anyway, are you guys staying safe? Physically and Mentally. If you want to talk I'm always here