Chapter Eight

A few days later, I finish the list, and none other than Chancellor Palpatine is the last one. The only one who could have a red saber. I get in the lift to his personal chambers in the Senate building, my gaze fixed in the middle of the lift doors. I'm reminded of that mission where Obi-Wan and I were assigned to, and we rescued the Chancellor from the clutches of Count Dooku, and I ended up killing him in cold blood. An odd mixture of guilt and grief washes over me. I inhale deeply, and pull my hood down as the numbers tick closer and closer to the floor that holds the Chancellor.

"Anakin, what are you doing here?" he says, turning his chair round to face me.

"I think you know what I'm doing here." I say crossly.

"Oh, I am truly sorry about Obi-Wan." Palpatine says, without a hint of sympathy.

"So you know?" I ask, sarcastically.

"Surely you know that everything that happens in this city makes its way to me, if it takes an hour, a day, or a month." he explains slowly. "You must be very upset... thinking you could do better... to prove yourself to him? And now you won't ever get the chance again."

His words try to get inside me, but I won't let them. I won't let him do this. "I want to see your lightsaber." I spit.

"My lightsaber?"

"Yes." I frown at him.

"Alright then." he takes it out of his belt and ignites it. Crimson red; just as I expected.

"Yes, I know Obi-Wan was murdered." he says, raising himself out of his chair. "Just as you will be." he swings the blade, almost elegantly.

"You will never win against the Council." I say, turning on my own blue lightsaber.

"And that's another thing!" Palpatine laughs evilly, "The Jedi Council. So high and pompous, doing whatever they want, whenever they want."

"Do not speak a word against the Council! They will try you and find you guilty of murder and allegiance to the dark side." I cry, holding up my blade.

"They will try, young Skywalker. They will try."

I dash at him, swinging my blade down, and they clash, making a spurt of purple light. I block Palpatine's lightsaber as he tries to cut my leg. I attack him, not wanting to kill him; just stop him from killing anyone else.

"Just you wait, Skywalker. I will get you." he shouts.

"You are the hidden Sith Lord!" I yell, blocking another attack.

"Finally figured it out? You and your Jedi friends coming to get me?" Palpatine says darkly.

"No! This is revenge for Obi-Wan Kenobi!"

Somehow, I manage to get his lightsaber out his hand, and it falls on to the floor, spinning out of his reach. I use the force to make it fly into my other hand.

"I'm sorry Chancellor, but this duel is over. For now." I glare at him, my lightsaber still on in my hand.

"I could say the same to you. But I know you'll be back." he says, backing away. "Leave these rooms then, and take my lightsaber away with you; if that's what you so desire."

I stare at him for a moment longer, before turning my lightsaber off and picking up my cloak.

"This will not be the last duel we have, Skywalker." he mutters as I walk out the door and back down the corridor to the lift. The doors to his office make a hissing sound as they slide shut behind me.

I decide to walk to the Jedi Tower, not bothering to send a message or com-link beforehand. For one thing, the hidden Sith Lord is Chancellor Palpatine, and the other, I have found proof that Obi-Wan was murdered by Palpatine. I slow my pace, seeing that monstrous look that Mace Windu gave me on the night of Obi-Wan's funeral. What if they do expel me from the Order? I would have nothing. I take a deep breath and stop. They won't expel me. They couldn't. Why would they? There's only the reason of me walking out of our last meeting. Which was highly disrespectful. And no other Jedi has done before.

I let out a quiet, short laugh. "Well, there's a first time for everything." I whisper. Obi-Wan would never let them expel me. If he was there.