Chapter 23: The Honeymoon

After a few more days, we were informed that we'd be leaving tomorrow. Before bed, we decided to play chess.

"Check." I declared, moving my knight to a place it could strike the king from. Panic lit Samuel's eyes as he scanned over the board. He moved the king out of reach and glanced at me smugly.

"Not anymore." He grinned. I shot him a quizzical glance and deviously knocked his king over with my took. Samuel's face fell and his jaw hit the floor (not literally).

"Checkmate." I told him.

"How?" He demanded, standing up abruptly.

"That was the only spot I could have gotten you at." I shrugged, leaning back in my seat.

"Of all the places." Samuel sighed. His face was tinted red, probably from embarrassment. I stood up and walked to him, giving him a kiss. He took a sharp intake of breath before kissing me back. I took a step back.

"Now I don't feel as bad about losing." Samuel grinned.

"Well, in that case, I went in again." I laughed. He placed a hand on my lower back and pulled me closer. I wrapped my arms around his neck (not in like a strangle-type way), hair falling behind my shoulders. The ground seemed to fall from underneath my feet.

(Just a story I wanted to add that's completely unrelated: I forgot how to walk when I was at church. Like my entire left leg stopped working and I was walking like a drunk cowboy. It was mortifying.)

My stomach was in knots through this entire time, but I couldn't figure out Samuel's emotions. He was hugging me tightly, as if not to let me go. Eventually, he stopped kissing, so I did as well. He just held onto me.

"Samuel?" I asked. "Are you okay?"

"Yes." I felt him nod.

"Are you sure?" I pressed.

"Yeah." He sighed, letting me go. He wasn't crying, which is good. "I lost track of time."

"That's okay." I smiled.

The next morning, the carriage pulled up to the house.  Samuel and I never actually compensated for our marriage, which I'm sure he'll get an earful from Alexander about. It's not that neither of us wanted to, just that we don't know what to do. We've tried, but it's a little awkward.

"Are you ready?" Samuel asked. I nodded, and he held out his hand so he could help me get into the carriage.

(I'm tired. That's all for today, love you!!!)