Prologue

Aloe tapped her claws on the wood, waiting for them to finally tell her whether she got the job or not.

She knew that job was as good as hers, she was almost top in her class, she had been training in medics ever since she was eight, she had everything down.

 This job has to go to me.

She had been wanting it her entire life, it was the top paid job for healers. Just imagine all the lives she would be saving! Imagine all the fame!

  Suddenly someone sat next to her, she recognized him, it was
Drought, her worst enemy.

She felt her thoughts willow away into the background as she saw him.

   Drought, was amazing at medics, even better than her, and of course, he was trying to get the same job as her.

She narrowed her eyes at him angrily. He was staring at the door waiting for the dragon to come out and tell him he got the job.

No, your not taking my dreams, this is MY life and MY destiny, not yours.

  He glanced at her, and she quickly pretended like she had been looking at something behind him. He looked behind him as well, but there was only a wooden wall though. He turned his head around back at her, seeing she was still staring at the wall. He made a weird face and then turned forward, looking at the door.

    The knob to the door turned, and she felt like jumping out of her seat from the noise. Then, a dragon came out, they didn't wear anything, and looked quite old, their scales looked almost white.

She knew who this dragon was, it was nurse Taipan. This was the dragon she had looked up to her entire life, the dragon who she had wanted to be just like.

Please say I got it. Please say I got it. please say I got it.

She didn't even look at Aloe though, her eyes were locked on Drought.

"Congratulations Drought," she said handing him a scroll.

"You got the job."

She felt her heart sink.

Bu- but, that was supposed to be my scroll. All this hard work... for nothing.

He had a bright smile on his face and and shook her talon.

"Thank you, I am honored."

Taipan went back into the office, grabbing her stuff, and then left.

This entire place belonged to Drought now.

Drought's smile faded as he saw her slouched in the seat with a depressed face.

She was surprised that he had even noticed, or showed any emotion of care. But what surprised her even more is when he handed her the scroll.

"It's all yours." He said handing the scroll to her.

W- what? Why would he give up his entire future! He could save tons of lives and be wealthy and famous and serve the king and queen and have his name written in scrolls!

But, that doesn't matter, she could have that future, this was her chance.

"I- I can't take this, y- you earned it-

He shook his head.

"Nothing could make me happier than making someone else happy."

Not even your own happiness?

                                                   ~~~