Prologue

I wish I was a Weasley.

I had spent the weekend at my best friend, Ron's house with him and his family, four of his brothers were away at school but it was still fun with the three that were home. His mum made planned a little birthday party for my eleventh birthday since in the wizarding world eleven is a big deal, she made me a homemade cake, Ron's dad and oldest brother Bill had decorated the dining room, his younger sister Ginny had done my hair and was surprisingly good at it, and then there was Ron who came to Ginny's room to get me dressed in his best slacks, a button up and a tie, he blushed when he saw me. Mrs. Weasley had gotten me a yellow sundress that had little daisies all over it, it had very small delicate straps and the front tied into a cute bow accentuating the already forming chest I had, I wore it over a white turtleneck. Ginny had added some curls to my blonde hair that usually fell straight down to my waist. She had even snuck some mascara and a lip-gloss.

"Bloody hell" Ron muttered as he stepped into the room, looking at the floor and running a hand through his hair. Ginny had just finished the last curl in my hair when Ron came in, she gave me a gentle squeeze before leaving to go to the party downstairs, but not without stopping to elbow Ron pretty harshly and whispering not so quietly to tell me how pretty I am. I stifled a chuckle as she did.

"You ready?" I asked getting to my feet and meeting eyes with Ron.

"Yeah, always ready!" he had regained his composure and extended a hand for me with a smile, with one swift motion he spun me closer to give me a hug. "Happy birthday Daphne." When we pulled away, he linked his arm through mine. We started down the stairs toward the party laughing and enjoying our time together.

At the bottom of the stairs was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen, moving pictures of the Weasley's and I over the past year hung up all around the room, yellow balloons – my favorite color – falling from the ceiling, a homemade cake in the center of the table with my name written on it in icing, Mrs. Weasley's roast dinner – again my favorite – and four loving people standing in the middle of it all, smiling up at Ron and I. I couldn't help but smile at all the loving faces, running to hug each of them as tightly as I could. Mr. Weasley turned on some music on his gramophone and soon everyone broke into laughter and chatter. I walked around looking at all the pictures around the room, smiling at all my favorite memories. There was one picture from Ron's birthday a few years ago where his older twin brothers, Fred and George, stood on either side of I while we pushed Ron's face into the cake after blowing out the candles, another from the Christmas eve the year before where Ginny and I opened our matching jumpers that Mrs. Weasley had knitted for us, mine said Best and hers said Friend, there was one from summer a few years back where Bill had picked me up and thrown me over his shoulder and carrying me into the ocean while we were on vacation, one from the first summer I spent at the burrow where another of Ron's older brothers, the second oldest, Charlie, and I were running in the wizarding zoo to see the creatures, one of Percy, yet another of Ron's older brothers, teaching Ron and I to read from the first time I had met them. Once I had had enough time to look at all the pictures Mrs. Weasley called me over for supper to start. While we ate, we laughed and enjoyed each other's company.

After supper Mrs. Weasley had instructed the four of us kids – even though Bill was a fully graduated adult – to go dance so she could get some more pictures, Ginny stood on Bill's toes and they swung back and forth, Ron and I held hands and twisted and shimmied to the beat of the music, spinning around and laughing at how bad we danced.

"She was right, you know?" I looked at him confused, raising an eyebrow in question.

"Ginny, when she said you looked pretty." We both blushed and I punched his shoulder.