Chapter 7 (Year 4 part 4)

Christmas day, hours before the ball, we all met in the girl's lavatory on the fifth floor, bags of makeup and accessories in hand, the four of us began the preparation it takes to get ready for a school dance. Hermione and I insisting we do it like in the muggle movies we had watched as children, as little magic as we could possibly stand, just four girls helping one another. Now when it came to Hermione's hair, we needed a lot of magic to tame it, the frizziness and natural curls fighting any attempt we used that wasn't magic. We had saved her for last, knowing she would need the most time to get her hair sorted out.

"How do you deal with this monstrosity every day?" Ginny asked, aggressively casting spells towards the mess piled on Hermione's hair while I sat in front of her giggling as I did her makeup, Luna beside me doing her nails with muggle nail polish.

"I have years of practice and I still can barely tame it." She laughed.

"Well tonight this hair will be perfect, no more tangles, no frizz, it will be flawless."

"Just like you." Luna said softly, a light smile pressing her lips.

"Oh Luna, you're too sweet." Hermione said with a smile

"She's not wrong. Ron's going to just about die when he sees you tonight. If he doesn't we didn't do our job right." I said gesturing between the three of us all pampering over Hermione.

"Ron isn't my date; he doesn't have to be the one who appreciates all your hard work."

"We all know you would rather be going with him than your mystery guy." Ginny said, stepping back from her masterpiece, a bead of sweat dripping down her forehead.

"Who is he anyway?" I did the final swipe of lip-gloss, smiling at her as I stepped back, Luna following suit as Hermione was finally ready, prepped to perfection.

"You'll see shortly." I rolled my eyes

"Oh, come on. Just tell us." Ginny said eagerly, all of us looking into a mirror, almost shocked into silence by the view we saw.

Ginny had done wonders on our hairdos, mine almost entirely pulled into a curled updo, only a few pieces left down to frame my face, Luna had produced some small white daisies to place around the style that Ginny had produced, almost looking like a crown, my nails were painted a light yellow that went well with the yellow of my dress and as far as jewelry all I wore was the necklace from George, a small orange gemstone shaped like a G falling right into the center of the deep V neckline of my dress, which fell perfectly to the floor with my heels on. I could hardly recognize that it was myself I was looking at.

Ginny had left most of her hair down, only pulling back the sides and a daisy placed into the hair tie on the back of her hair where the two side pieces met, a soft blush painted on her cheeks and a sweet collar styled necklace that could easily pass as part of her gown. Her heels were much shorter than mine, leaving us at the same height for once, her nails were a soft pink to match her dress and a green bracelet that matched the green in her dress, she had gone from looking like a doll to looking like a fairy, ethereal would be putting it lightly. As I looked at her it took my breath away, my best friend dressed like such a beautiful young woman left me feeling oddly proud of her, still used to the little girl from when we first met so many years before.

Luna was still her regular height seeing as she wasn't wearing heels, or even shoes, only wearing lace bottomless sandals. Her hair was pulled into a thick braid, falling down her back almost all the way to her waist, I had placed some of the left-over daisies into her hair scattered all throughout the braid, the front of her hair was left loose to frame her face, her nails were painted white with some swirls of all the colors in her dress, giving them the illusion of being iridescent the same way her dress did, she wore earrings that looked like actual fallen stars dangling from her ears. The only makeup she had wanted was a bit of pink glitter in the corner of one eye and a bit of blue glitter in the corner of the other. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at all of us, a true smile spreading across her face as she looked at us all staring at her. That smile was the most beautiful part of her ensemble, the true happiness she wore was what made her so special.